Translation of grim in Spanish:
- 1.1 (stern)(person/expression)Example sentences1.2 (gloomy)
(weather)(truth)these are grim times for industrythe grim realitycorren tiempos muy negros para la industria1.3 (unyielding)la cruda or dura realidad(struggle)she carried on with grim determinationwith a grim smilesiguió adelante, resuelta a no dejarse vencersonriendo a pesar de todoExample sentences1.4 (sinister)
- But she could see everyone else paying close attention, their expressions slowly becoming more serious and grim.
- She looked up to see his grim expression and immediately sobered.
- This time, none of them were laughing; they looked grim and serious.
- Rural life is shown as harsh and grim where the ablest and younger peasants sought to escape to the factories in the cities.
- The lives of agricultural and urban workers would have been just as grim.
- Others are angry but matter-of-fact about a lifestyle that seems unbearably grim to the outsider.
Example sentences1.5 (below par) [colloquial] I feel pretty grim
- With these grim figures to consider, it is expected that Carlow would be one of the first test centres in the country to benefit from any forthcoming additional resources.
- The alternative - settling for economic, cultural and demographic stagnation - is too grim to consider.
- This could be grim news for millions of consumers whose life savings are invested in pensions, endowments and other savings contracts.
me siento or me encuentro fatal [colloquial]Example sentences
- Most of us use grim humour to cope with life's dark side.
- Sitting in the shade of the fig trees in Westminster's bustling Portcullis House last week, Ian Cawsey recalled with grim humour the moment when he almost died.
- But somehow, that sort of irreverent, grim humor doesn't seem appropriate.
- The rear of Selfridges is a grim place, just a service road lined by characterless buildings, and totally unlike the elegance of the imposing frontage.
- They live in a house in the most unpromising of territory - a grim estate on the Charlton-Woolwich boundary - yet the interior of their home is fantastic.
- Ever wondered how the NHS struggles by in the grotty, run-down and ultimately grim areas of this country?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to