- 1 1.1 (with pain, suffering) quejarse, gemir* to groan with pain quejarse de dolor we are groaning under the burden of taxation estamos agobiados por la carga fiscalMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (with dismay) gruñir* 1.3 (creak) [door/timber] crujir
- She tried to pull his shirt away from the wound but he groaned in pain.
- He slowly pulled himself up, and groaned as pain shot up and down his body.
- She groaned in pleasure as she sank into the water.
More example sentences
- Just about every public service groans under the weight of paperwork, and the police are the latest to suffer.
- Worldcom's bankruptcy filing has lessons for domestic lenders groaning under a mountain of non-performing assets estimated to be anywhere between Rs 50,000 crore and Rs 75,000 crore.
- If Kerry had had his way, the Soviet Union and the nations behind the Iron Curtain would still be in place - groaning under inefficient, totalitarian Communist regimes.
- The metal rungs creaked and groaned as she put her weight on them, but held firm against the stone wall.
- The impressive tent also housed the long tables groaning from the weight of delicious French produce on display.
- The old stairs creaked and groaned as I climbed them and suddenly, I felt very much like an intruder.
- 2 (grumble) [colloquial/familiar] refunfuñar [familiar/colloquial], rezongar*More example sentences
- Grumpy old codgers such as Will Self and Bob Geldof have been moaning and groaning on prime-time TV about what really gets their goat.
- Once the initial elation of a happy event dies down, we quickly revert to type, moaning and groaning.
- He had a very well paid and exclusive job millions of people would kill for and was still moaning and groaning about Matt.
- 1.1 (of pain, suffering) quejido (m), gemido (m) to let out a groan dejar escapar un quejido or gemido 1.2 (of dismay) gruñido (m)More example sentences1.3 (creak) crujido (m)
More example sentences
- Without warning, another shot rings out, followed by a deep groan.
- Rupert rubbed his face, letting out a low groan of pain.
- My hips pressed closer to him, and a slight groan escaped from deep within my throat.
- It's an old house, full of creaks and groans and other house sounds.
- In his heart he knew that these were nothing but foolish thoughts and that the sounds he could hear were just the unfamiliar creaks and groans of the old house but that didn't make the slightest bit of difference.
- The howling wind was still making its presence felt, shaking the structure of the building, causing countless creaks and groans to rise up from its foundations.