Translation of groundswell in Spanish:
- 1.1 (Meteorol, Nautical)mar (feminine) de fondo or de levaExample sentences1.2 (of opinion, interest)
- The wreck is well broken among rocks, spread out and so close in that even on a flat-calm day the groundswell sloshes the boat up and down as it moves in as close as possible to drop divers off.
- We had to get within 1.5 miles of the reef before we could distinguish the rocks from the groundswell breaking over them.
- A gentle groundswell was building over the reef and washing well up the rock.
- He said there was a groundswell of opinion among backbenchers, and said he had been involved with a statement released detailing the plans.
- There is also a groundswell of opposition among some independent financial advisers.
- There was a groundswell of political opinion that art was thought to be for rich people.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.