Translation of guinea pig in Spanish:
- 1.1 [Zoology/Zoología] cobayo (masculine), cobaya (feminine), conejillo (masculine) de Indias, cuy (masculine) (South America/América del Sur) , cuye (masculine) (Chile) , curí (masculine) (Colombia)Example sentences1.2 (person) conejillo (masculine) de Indias
- The domestic guinea pig, Cavia porcellus, now found worldwide in captivity, has been bred for meat for more than three thousand years in South America.
- A major debate was raised by the claim that ‘the guinea pig is not a rodent’.
- At school, our classroom had a small rodent zoo consisting of two rabbits, three hamsters, a litter of baby gerbils and a guinea pig.
- Walker volunteered to act as a human guinea pig for these experiments, as did 400m runner Mark Richardson and one other athlete.
- The early study of carbon dioxide also gave rise to the expression to be a guinea pig, meaning to subject oneself to an experiment.
- The worst was when you became a guinea pig for a hazardous experiment, and not even the lightest punishment was endurable.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A patera is a boat with a shallow draft, used by illegal immigrants, known as balseros, to cross the Straits of Gibraltar from Morocco to southern Spain.