Translation of handle in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (of cup, jug)(of door) picaporte (masculine)(knob) pomo (masculine)(of broom, knife, spade) mango (masculine)(of bag, basket) asa (feminine (with masculine article in the singular))(of wheelbarrow, stretcher) brazo (masculine)(of pump) manivela (feminine)to fly off the handle to get a handle on somethingencontrarle el truco a algo1.2 [colloquial] (opportunity)
encontrarle la vuelta a algo (Southern Cone) [colloquial]
- 1 1.1 (touch) please do not handle the goodsse ruega no tocar la mercancíahandle with care I'd handle it more gently if I were you, it's very delicateyo que tú lo trataría con más cuidado, es muy frágilSmith handled the ball (in soccer)Smith tocó la pelota con la mano1.2 (manipulate, manage)(vehicle/weapon)he has no idea how to handle a saw
manejarno tiene ni idea de cómo se maneja or se usa una sierragreat care is needed in handling these chemicalsse debe tener mucho cuidado al manipular estos productos químicostoo hot to handlethe situation was too hot to handlela situación era demasiado difícil or peliagudaExample sentences
- The body itself can be handled and manipulated as though lacking in the capacity for self-propulsion.
- It's foods that have been handled by the modern food technologists.
- While the meal does not have to be eaten in its entirety, the food itself should be handled and treated with respect, since it represents the finest that the hosts can provide.
- Last month he was jailed for six months for handling the car, driving a high performance vehicle without the proper licence, and having no insurance.
- The engine hummed to itself sweetly as she slid the unmarked patrol car into the flow of traffic, handling the vehicle with her usual style.
- From there you've got to learn to handle your ship and get to grips with the most difficult part - docking with the space station.
- 2 2.1 (deal with)(people)
tratar(situation/affair)he has no idea how to handle his staff
manejarno tiene ni idea de cómo tratar a sus empleadosyou have to handle him righthay que saber tratarlohe complained of being roughly handled by the policese quejó de haber sido maltratado por la policíato handle philosophical conceptsmanejar conceptos filosóficoshe handled the situation very wellmanejó or supo llevar muy bien la situaciónyou handled the interview very wellte desenvolviste muy bien en la entrevistathese decisions are best handled by professionalsestas decisiones es mejor dejárselas a los expertosyou keep quiet, I'll handle this
de estas decisiones es mejor que se encarguen or que se hagan cargo los expertostú no digas nada, yo me encargo de estoExample sentences
Example sentences2.2 (cope with emotionally) [colloquial]
- Both local and international human rights groups have criticized the handling of his trials as unfair, with Amnesty International labeling Anwar a political prisoner.
- You will find that, on most ships, the staff is well accustomed to handling crowds and is skilled at moving passengers with dispatch and courtesy.
- Some critics of the president's handling of Iraq are expressing deep concern the mission there is turning into a situation similar to what happened during the Vietnam War.
(stress/tension)he can't handle the job
- You have to deal with it, handle it, cope with it.
- My mother is not the sort of person who handles interpersonal interactions well, she finds them stressful and tends to burn her bridges too easily when she gets fed up with people.
- Through a divorce and the death of my father I wasn't able to handle things like I did before.
poder soportarno puede con el trabajoI can't tell him the truth; he couldn't handle itno puedo decirle la verdad; lo destrozaría
- 3 3.1 (be responsible for)(business/financial matters)the department handling your case
encargarse or ocuparse de
llevarel departamento que se encarga or se ocupa de su caso
el departamento que lleva su casoExample sentences3.2 (do business in)
(goods/commodities)they were accused of handling stolen goods
- You wouldn't think twice about hiring an accountant to handle the books.
- I hired a local furniture guy who handles all of the hiring and personnel issues in Baghdad, where I have about 15 local employees.
- McGonigle, who has moved from DDFH & B, where he handled the Baileys account, is to oversee a recruitment drive at the company.
comerciar conse les acusó de comerciar con objetos robadoswe don't handle their productsno trabajamos sus productosExample sentences3.3 (process) the dockers refused to handle the cargo
los estibadores se negaron a tocar el cargamentothe airport handles 300 flights a dayel aeropuerto tiene un tráfico de 300 vuelos diariosthis port can handle container trafficeste puerto tiene la capacidad para recibir contenedoresthe machine can handle any thickness of materialla máquina sirve para tela de cualquier grosorcomputers can handle vast amounts of datalas computadoras pueden procesar enormes cantidades de datosthe body's ability to handle certain foods is impairedla capacidad del organismo para asimilar or procesar ciertos alimentos se ve afectadathere's too much work for two people to handlehay demasiado trabajo para dos personas
- He denies committing three of the burglaries, but admits handling goods stolen in the same house raids.
- The judge at Bolton Crown Court, heard how he had a string of convictions for burglary, shoplifting and handling stolen goods dating back 14 years.
- The youngsters, all under 16, have received a caution for handling stolen goods and have been released.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.