Translation of heat in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (warmth) the cat basked in the heat of the fireel gato disfrutaba del calor de la lumbrein the heat of the daycuando el sol aprietaif you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen
en las horas de más calorsi es demasiado para ti, quítate de en medio(before noun) heat losspérdida (feminine) de calorExample sentences1.2 (for cooking) on/over/at a low heat
a fuego lentoExample sentences1.3 (heating) [colloquial]
- At least my dress was not welcoming the sun's heat; on the contrary I was comfortable with a slight breeze ruffling my skirts.
- The building will also be sensitive to sun angles and heat and cold retention.
- Their accumulation in the air traps heat and raises the temperature.
Example sentences1.4 (of curry, chili)
- Because you are applying direct heat, skillet cooking will quickly cook vegetables and even meats such as chicken and beef.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat.
- Cooking with cheese works well when using techniques that call for low heat and slow cooking.
lo picante or (in Mexico also) lo picosoExample sentences
- The weakest part of a weldment is the base metal affected by the heat of welding.
- The two sources that appear via Google both suggest it is food noisy with heat.
- The kind and amount of chili peppers you use will determine the chili's heat.
- C-fibers convey to the central nervous system sensations of noxious heat and certain inflammatory signals.
- 2 uncountable (excitement, passion) he spoke with some heathabló con cierto acaloramiento or con cierta vehemenciaI realize you said it in the heat of the momentya sé que lo dijiste en un momento de enojo ( or exaltación etc)his article will generate more heat than lightsu artículo caldeará los ánimos pero no arrojará nueva luz sobre el temahis intervention took the heat out of the situationsu intervención calmó los ánimosExample sentences
- Anger was also a product of innate heat, which excitement and emotion agitated and caused to rise to the surface from the heart.
- The red was a terrible sign, as that indicated heat, generally anger but sometimes some other kind of passion.
- I rose from my chair, and I could feel my heat was flushed with anger.
- 3 uncountable (pressure) [colloquial]to put the heat on somebodyapretarle las clavijas a alguien [colloquial]to take the heat off somebodydarle un respiro a alguienthe heat is offExample sentences
- York City today turned up the heat on the local authority over its phased redevelopment plans for Huntington Stadium.
- Critics of the plan turned up the heat in early March as the House Democratic Caucus passed a resolution criticizing the new structure.
- There's no doubt that the federal authorities have turned up the heat throughout the financial community.
- 4 uncountable (estrus) to come into o (British English) on heatponerse en celoto be in o (British English) on heat (animal)estar en celo(woman) [slang]
estar caliente [vulgar]
- 6 countable (Sport)Example sentences
- Players from all but three of Britain's professional clubs will contest heats over 100 metres, followed by a final.
- The first event for the Sri Lankans was the Men's 400 metres first round heats that were scheduled to be run at 9.45 p.m. Sri Lanka time last night.
- That's 16 riders racing over 20 heats with a first-place run-off if necessary.
- Once the engine is warm and has heated up the radiator fluid, which in turn heats the vegetable oil, you can switch the engine to run on straight vegetable oil.
- So even if you're contemplating dining on fruit and vegetables, it's better to heat them gently until warm.
- Electromagnetic waves of radio frequency can make molecules vibrate and heat up - like microwaves heat food.
- 1verb + adverb
- 1verb + adverb
calentarse2verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object
(argument/discussion)the atmosphere in the committee room was heating up
se estaban caldeando los ánimos en la sala de juntas2verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.