- 1.1 hipo (masculine) to have (the) hiccups tener* hipo she got the hiccups le dio hipo she gave a loud hiccup and blushed scarlet soltó un hipo bien fuerte y se puso como la grana an attack of hiccups un ataque de hipoMore example sentences1.2 (brief interruption) dificultad (feminine), tropiezo (masculine) they view this failure as a mere hiccup consideran que este fracaso es solo un pequeño contratiempo I don't want any last-minute hiccups! (British English/inglés británico) ¡no quiero problemas de última hora!
More example sentences
- Everyday hiccups don't need medical treatment, as they will go away on their own.
- The GP will examine you and look particularly for signs of the serious conditions that can cause persistent hiccups, such as an infection of the diaphragm.
- Slowly my sobs subsided and all that was left was my hiccups which sounded off every once and a while.
- Overall it was a very successful day as everything went well with only a few minor hiccups and the weather was ideal.
- Jake is back on his feet and is doing well apart from a couple of minor hiccups.
- The data collection for the main study itself went smoothly, with only very minor local hiccups.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo ( (in British English also/en inglés británico también) -pp-)
- hipar if I drink too much, I start hiccuping si bebo demasiado, me da or me entra hipo
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.