- 1.1 (to a high degree) it's highly probable/unlikelyes muy/muy poco probableshe's a highly intelligent childes una niña inteligentísima or sumamente inteligentehis methods are highly unconventionalsus métodos son muy poco ortodoxoshighly dangerouspeligrosísimohighly educated
peligroso en extremomuy cultoour highly trained/skilled workforcenuestra mano de obra altamente capacitada/calificadafood that is too highly spiced/seasonedcomida excesivamente condimentada/sazonadashe praised him highlylo puso por las nubeshe's highly esteemed/respected by his colleaguessus colegas lo tienen en gran estima/lo respetan muchoExample sentences1.2 (favorably) his boss speaks/thinks very highly of him
su jefe habla muy bien/tiene muy buena opinión de élI can't recommend her highly enoughla recomiendo sin ninguna reservahe came to us highly recommendedvino con excelentes recomendacionesExample sentences1.3 (at a high rate) a highly paid job
- Even exposure to relatively low levels of this highly poisonous gas can cause brain damage or death.
- On one side the tiles are broken and the steps into the pool are loose and highly dangerous.
- She said she did not blame the driver, but felt the junction was highly dangerous.
un trabajo muy bien pagado or remunerado1.4 (in a high position) a highly placed officialun alto cargo
- He is very popular with his colleagues and highly regarded by senior officers.
- It is true he polarises people, but where I am from he is highly regarded by the community.
- He's a screenwriter and apparently is very highly regarded in the industry.
un funcionario importante
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.