Translation of hinge in Spanish:
- 1.1 (of door, window, gate) bisagra (feminine), gozne (masculine); (of box, lid) bisagra (feminine) to take a door off its hinges sacar* una puerta de sus goznesExample sentences1.2 (of shell) charnela (feminine) (before noun/delante del nombre) hinge joint charnela (feminine)
Example sentences1.3 (in philately) fijasellos (masculine), bisagra (feminine)
- He had only time to back away before the thick wooden doors swung open, hinges protesting loudly.
- The door stood open, its hinges and locking mechanisms smashed.
- There was a knock on my door, and it swung open on its hinges.
- The hinge ligament of bivalve shell is an example of a complex development.
- Your elbow joints are simple hinges, and they can bend only one way and on a direct line.
- A good analog of the decrescent side is the interarea of brachiopods or the hinge area of bivalves.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo (hinges, hinging, hinged)
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (hinges, hinging, hinged)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Mexican politics, a prospective party candidate for the presidency is called a tapado. Candidates traditionally emerge from within the party but their identity is not revealed until the candidate is officially declared: they remain tapados (hidden), thus arousing a great deal of speculation. Under the rule of the