Translation of hope in Spanish:
- 1.1 uncountable and countable (expectation) to be full of hopeestar lleno de esperanzas or de ilusiónmy hope is that she'll change her mindespero que cambie de opiniónthe doctor told us she was beyond hopeel médico nos dijo que lo suyo no tenía curadon't get your hopes up too muchno te hagas demasiadas ilusionesto give up hopeperder la(s) esperanza(s)we have high hopes of him/his getting a gold medaltenemos muchas esperanzas de que obtenga una medalla de oroshe held out the hope of promotionle ( or nos etc) dio esperanzas de que lo ( or nos etc) ascenderíanI don't hold out much hope of (our) winningno me hago muchas ilusiones or no tengo muchas esperanzas de que vayamos a ganarshe did it in the hope of a rewardlo hizo con la esperanza de obtener una recompensahe lived in (the) hope of returning to his native landvivía con la esperanza de que algún día volvería a su tierrashe hasn't done it yet, but we live in hope [humorous]todavía no lo ha hecho, pero no hemos perdido las esperanzas [humorous]to build up o raise one's hopeshacerse or forjarse ilusionesI don't want to raise false hopesno quiero crear falsas expectativasshe's pinning all her hopes on getting the scholarshipha cifrado todas sus esperanzas en conseguir la becaI had set my hopes on getting the prizeme había hecho ilusiones de llevarme el premioExample sentences1.2 uncountable and countable (chance) there's little hope of a positive outcome
hay pocas esperanzas or posibilidades de que el resultado sea positivowe haven't got a hope in hell [colloquial]no tenemos ni la más remota posibilidadnot a hope! [colloquial]¡ni lo sueñes!some hope! [ironic]¡sí, espérate sentado! [colloquial] [irónico]Example sentences1.3 countable (person, thing) he's my last/only hope
- Instead the two clubs can still dream of Cardiff, albeit in both cases more in hope than expectation.
- This time there was hope and expectation, and a certain symbolism.
- They now await their results in August and September in hope and expectation.
es mi última/única esperanzashe's the great white hope of the democrats [humorous]es la gran esperanza de los demócratasExample sentences
- Edwina Currie was moved by the response to the gathering, and believes it offers hope for the future.
- No great surprises here either, but grounds for rational hope at the voting booth.
- Regardless of what has gone before, I believe there is hope for a brighter and better future.
- The decision came as little surprise but washed away the last hopes of parents who have fought to save the popular schools.
- This was one of the only hopes for this once majestic statue to be saved from the elements.
- Most familiar with the problem believe the only hope for a reversal in the trend is education.
- I hope so/notespero que sí/que noto hope
forsomethingthey hoped for a better life for their childrentenían esperanzas de que sus hijos tuvieran una vida mejorwe're hoping for good weather while we're on vacationesperamos tener buen tiempo durante las vacacionesare you going to do some work, or would that be too much to hope (for)?¿vas a trabajar un poco o eso sería mucho pedir?to hope for the bestesperar que la suerte me ( or nos etc) acompañeher method is to throw everything into the pot and hope for the bestsu método es echarlo todo en la olla y que sea lo que Dios quieraExample sentences
- They will be hoping for an easy draw in the next round so they can get the show back on the road.
- He added that in the long term his group was hoping for an effective relief road for the town centre.
- The greedy geese drove off the ducks and chased after pensioners, hoping for a feed.
- to hope (
that)esperarI hope (that) you are well quefollowed by subjunctiveespero que te encuentres bienthis is for you, I hope you like itesto es para ti, espero que te gusteI was hoping (that) you'd say thatesperaba que dijeras esoto hope against hope that …esperar contra todo pronóstico que …to hope to + infinitiveesperar +I hope o I'm hoping to go in May infinitiveespero poder ir en mayowhat do you hope to gain by that?¿y qué esperas ganar con eso?Example sentences
- Plans have been drawn up and it is hoped to commence work in this area in the new year.
- We have provided the Court with a schedule setting out the areas that we hope to address.
- In later essays I hope to address some questions that arise because of this piece.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.