Translation of horse in Spanish:
- 1 countable (Zoology) to ride a horsemontar a caballohe lost a lot of money on the horses
andar a caballo (Southern Cone) (Mexico)perdió mucho dinero en las carreras de caballosfrom the horse's mouth [colloquial]I want to hear it straight from the horse's mouthquiero que me lo diga él mismo/ella mismahis/her high horsewhen he gets on his high horse …cuando se pone a pontificar …you'd better get down off your high horseva a ser mejor que bajes el gallo [colloquial]hold your horses [colloquial] horses for courses (British English) [colloquial]a cada cual, lo suyoI could eat a horsetengo un hambre caninato back the wrong horse
me comería una vaca enterahacer una mala elecciónto be a horse of another o a different color to beat o (British English) flog a dead horse [colloquial]talking to them about cutting expenditure is a case of beating a dead horsehablarles de reducir gastos es como arar en el mar or como machacar en hierro fríoasking him to contribute is like beating a dead horsepedirle que colabore es pedirle peras al olmoto change horses in midstreamcambiar de parecer ( or de política etc) a mitad de caminoto drive a horse and cart through something to eat like a horsecomer como un sabañón or como una lima (nueva)wild horseswild horses wouldn't make me go back to that jobpor nada del mundo volvería a ese trabajowild horses couldn't keep me awayno me lo perdería por nada del mundoyou can lead o take a horse to water but you can't make it drinkpuedes darle un consejo a alguien, pero no puedes obligarlo a que lo siga(before noun) horse blanketExample sentences
- A horse pulling a cart carrying racegoers was struck by lightning and died and a passenger was killed.
- The mowing machine for the barley and oats was pulled by two horses and carried two people - the blades would be flying when it was in use.
- Domestic donkeys interact well with other livestock animals such as horses, cows, goats, sheep, and llamas.
- I now have more mares than male horses though among the top 10 I own three of them are males.
- The photo is cropped closely so that the reader is not aware that he's looking at a picture of a male horse rather than a mare.
- On the roof of the cave deft hands had painted bison, elk, horses and wild boars.
- Wild horses can be tamed, but Finch said it takes someone who is knowledgeable and experienced.
- The horse family - Equiidae - was an especial success story during the Neogene.
- 2 countable (vaulting-block)Example sentences
- And the wall bars and horses which have characterised school gym halls for hundreds of years will be replaced by treadmills and electronic recumbent bikes.
- R. Mikaelyan was first among the Soviet gymnasts who started with the long horse.
- A year later Olga won her first award at the national title meet - a gold medal in the horse vault.
- 3 (cavalry) (+ plural verb) light horseExample sentences
- The cavalry regiments have always been splendidly dressed, with the light horse being the most dashing.
- He fought alongside the duke at the naval battles off Lowestoft in 1665 and at Sole Bay in 1672 and, though a catholic, was made colonel of a regiment of horse.
- The next level down was the commander of the fire unit - the horse artillery troop or foot artillery company - equivalent to modern batteries.
- 4 uncountable (heroin) [slang]Example sentences
- For the great horse called heroin will take you to hell.
- Instead of a bunch of layabouts smoking glue and cracking charlie's horse with LSD, we could have good, fit criminals with discipline and firearms skills.
- He remembers his first taste of marijuana, his first snort of horse.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.