Translation of house in Spanish:
noun plural housesPronunciation: /ˈhaʊzəz/American English: /haʊs/ British English: /haʊs/
- 1 1.1 (dwelling) I won't have that dog in the houseno quiero a ese perro en casacome around to my house at sixven a (mi) casa a las seisthe party's at my housela fiesta es en (mi) casathe man/lady of the houseel hombre/la señora de la casahe's useless around the housees un inútil para la casathe house of Godla casa del Señora house divided(cualquier nación u organización con divisiones internas)to move house (British English)mudarse (de casa)to play house
cambiarse de casajugar a las casitasa house of cardsun castillo de naipesas safe as houses (British English)totalmente seguroit's as safe as houseses totalmente seguroto clean house (American English)
no tiene el menor peligro(restore order) poner la casa en orden
hacer una limpieza(lit: spring-clean) hacer (una) limpieza generalto eat somebody out of house and homedejarle la despensa vacía a alguiento get along like a house afire o (British English) on fire [colloquial] (be very friendly)hacer buenas migas(make good progress) we're getting on like a house afire
llevarse muy bientodo marcha sobre ruedas or viento en popato keep houseocuparse de or llevar la casato keep open house it's always open house at the Browns'la casa de los Brown siempre está abierta a todo el mundoto put one's (own) house in orderponer sus ( or mis etc) asuntos en ordento set up house
ordenar sus ( or mis etc) asuntosponer casa(before noun) house buyer house ownerpropietario, (-ria) (masculine, feminine)house painter house prices
dueño, (-ña) (masculine, feminine) de una casael precio de la viviendaExample sentences1.2 (household) you'll wake the whole house
vas a despertar a toda la casaExample sentences1.3 (dynasty) the House of Windsor
- Real foxes do, indeed, sometimes make their homes under human houses and, increasingly in this country at any rate, under city homes.
- The plaintiffs were required to carry out certain repairs by the local council in order to render houses fit for human habitation.
- Then here were a great many houses; human habitations, full of the mysteries of life at every stage of it.
la casa de WindsorExample sentences
- Every creak of a floor board or an opening door seems loud enough to wake up the whole house.
- He picked up his cell phone to call her but thought that he would be waking up the whole house.
- I would have called you, but I didn't want to wake your entire house at seven on a weekend.
- Mountbatten was born to a family closely related to the house of Windsor.
- Mar decided to retaliate by raising the standard for the house of Stuart.
- The Picts also practiced matrilineal descent - thus their royal houses all descended through the female line.
- 2→ House of Commons → House of Lords → Houses of Parliament → House of Representatives 2.1 (Politics)Cámara (feminine)the lower/upper housela cámara baja/altathe House of Representatives (in US)la Cámara de Representantes or de Diputadosthe House of Commons/of Lords (in UK)la Cámara de los Comunes/de los Loresthe Houses of Parliament (in UK)el ParlamentoExample sentences
Example sentences2.2 (in debate)
- At the state level, some of the legislatures are bicameral, patterned after the two houses of the national parliament.
- The referendum has been widely adopted to protect key aspects of state constitutions, such as the governor and the two houses of parliament.
- This introduced a national parliament with two houses for India.
- The oldest member of parliament, he served as speaker of the house when it first met.
- Ideally, the president of the GMC would present the annual report in public, before a committee of both houses of parliament.
- We accept that a time will come when the houses of parliament and the government will have to agree a final form of the bill that is less than ideal.
- This House Would Under No Circumstances Fight For Queen And Country.
- This house would privatise Britain's universities.
Cultural Note: House of Commons
Cultural Note: House of Lords
La Cámara de los Lores es la cámara alta del Parlamento británico. Su función es discutir y posteriormente aprobar o sugerir cambios a la legislación que haya sido aprobada en la Cámara de los Comunes → House of Commons. La única excepción es la ley de presupuestos generales del estado que es tratada exclusivamente por esta última. Sus miembros son nombrados en su mayoría, y solo quedan 92 miembros hereditarios. Se han propuesto unas medidas de reforma según las cuales un porcentaje de los lores serían elegidos directamente por el pueblo.
Cultural Note: Houses of Parliament
Son las dos cámaras del Parlamento británico, la Cámara de los Comunes → House of Commons y la Cámara de los Lores → House of Lords. El Palacio de Westminster ( Palace of Westminster), que es el grupo de edificios situados en el centro de Londres donde se reúnen los miembros de las dos cámaras, también se conoce con este nombre.
Cultural Note: House of Representatives
La Cámara de Representantes es la cámara baja del Congreso → Congress de Estados Unidos. Está formada por 435 representantes → Representative que son elegidos cada dos años. Cada estado de EEUU tiene un número de representantes proporcional a su población. Esta cámara es la encargada de introducir nueva legislación, por lo que toda nueva ley debe ser aprobada por ella.
- 3 3.1 (Business) finance house a software houseuna empresa de softwaredrinks are on the house we get that done out of houseeso se hace fuerathe in-house workersel personal (regular)(before noun) the house styleel estilo de la editorial ( or el periódico etc)house white/redvino (masculine) blanco/tinto de la casaExample sentences
Example sentences3.2 (brothel)
- The film board is a Canadian government film production house.
- Purchase recommendations from all of the major financial houses bejewel the company's stock like diamonds.
- The items included kites, toiletries, chocolates, biscuits, washing soaps, breakfast cereals and beans which she sourced from various business houses in the capital city.
- 'From the Alley to the House is like a path of ants', said Walpole.
casa (feminine) de citasExample sentences
- In an attempt to create Canadas first cooperative bawdy house, a sex-work organization will submit a request to Parliament for amnesty from an anti-brothel provision within the next six months.
- 4 (Theater) 4.1 (auditorium) house fullno quedan localidadesto bring the house down [colloquial]that scene brought the house down
agotadas las localidadesel teatro casi se viene abajo con los aplausos que siguieron a esa escenaExample sentences4.2 (audience) 4.3 (performance) the second house starts at eight
la segunda función empieza a las ochoExample sentences
- Jesus, berating the money-changers in the Temple, called the building a house of prayer.
- He also noted that it did not take into account the mosques and Muslim houses of prayer destroyed since 1948.
- It is not right to make a fortress of Christ's church, which is a house of prayer.
- Since Gyan's return to the North Coast she has been performing to sellout houses.
- It played six performances to packed houses at Sydney's Conservatorium, and attracted gratifying media attention.
- Later it performed to packed houses at Andrew's Lane Theatre in Dublin
- 5 5.1 (School)(cada uno de los grupos en que se dividen los alumnos de algunos colegios con fines competitivos etc)Example sentences5.2 (monastery) (Religion)
- There were eight houses or forms that divided up the pupils at Bishop Luffa and Sherbourne had now become the odd one out, the unlucky one.
- Students are divided into houses based on their special needs or interests.
- From the very start, competition between the houses is encouraged.
- Giberti, like Sadoleto, chose to reside in his see, where he disciplined his clergy, reformed religious houses, and took the cure of souls seriously.
- Joseph II reduced the number of religious houses belonging to the contemplative orders.
- In England, for example, there were some fifty religious houses in 1066 and perhaps 1,000 monks and nuns.
- 6 (Astrology)casa (feminine) celesteExample sentences
- It is also good to have the ruler of the Ascendant and the 2nd house in mutual reception.
- A horoscope needs to be drawn and studied and the meaning of aspects as well as the positioning of houses and planets have to be understood.
- His seventh house contains Mars while Libra is at the Ascendant containing Uranus.
- I look further along and I see the Moon is at the top of the chart in the ninth house at 14 degrees of Virgo.
- The angular houses represent our own ‘seats of power’, places of familiarity and control.
- Every astrology chart is divided into houses, starting with the Ascendant line and working anti-clockwise around the rest of the chart.
transitive verbAmerican English: /haʊz/ British English: /haʊz/
- 1 (accommodate)(person/family)
darle alojamiento aExample sentences
- The women and children cited by Coleman in the column appear to be housed in shelters.
- If an asylum-seeker turned up with his family I am sure they would be housed in far better accommodation than these poor people have to live in.
- It enables vulnerable people to be housed in suitable accommodation so that they can try and turn their lives around.
- The Van Gogh museum houses the largest collection of this troubled man's masterpieces, and is definitely worth a look.
- The experience of being inside the David and Peggy Rockefeller Building, which houses the museum's new galleries, is uplifting.
- The Lower East Side Tenement Museum is housed in one such building, at 97 Orchard Street.
- 2 (contain)(office/museum)
exclamationAmerican English: /haʊs/ British English: /haʊs/
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.