Translation of infect in Spanish:
- 1 (Medicine) 1.1 (cause disease in)(wound/cut)
infectar(person/animal)your cold is infecting everybody in the office
contagiarestás contagiándole el resfriado a toda la oficinadon't get too close, you might infect the babyno te acerques, que puedes contagiar al bebéthe wound was/became infectedla herida estaba infectada/se infectóto infect somebody
withsomethingcontagiarle algoshe infected her sisters with chickenpox aalguienles contagió la varicela a sus hermanashe was infected with hepatitiscontrajo hepatitis [formal]they infected rats with the virusinocularon el virus a algunas ratasExample sentences1.2 (contaminate)
- Children can get ringworm from touching infected animals such as dogs and cats.
- Since then, West Nile virus has spread rapidly westward, infecting birds, humans and horses.
- Mosquitoes that bite infected animals then bite humans typically transmit the disease.
- Somewhat reassured, the group try to settle down to enjoy the rest of their vacation, unaware that the diseased man's body is face down in the reservoir, infecting their water supply…
- Oh, and the guy who they burnt handily made it to the local reservoir, thereby infecting the local water supply.
- Almost every area of life is a potential terrorist target - with scare stories about the threat of a smallpox outbreak, and bioterrorists infecting food supplies and water reservoirs.
- 2 (spread emotion) his cheerfulness infected everyone around himles contagiaba su alegría a todos los que lo rodeabaneveryone was infected with o by the carnival mood
su alegría era contagiosatodos se habían contagiado de la alegría del carnaval
a todos se les había contagiado la alegría del carnaval
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.