- 1 [Medicine/Medicina] 1.1 (cause disease in) [wound/cut] infectar; [person/animal] contagiar your cold is infecting everybody in the office estás contagiándole el resfriado a toda la oficina don't get too close, you might infect the baby no te acerques, que puedes contagiar al bebé the wound was/became infected la herida estaba infectada/se infectó to infect sb
withsth contagiarle algo aalgn she infected her sisters with chickenpox les contagió la varicela a sus hermanas he was infected with hepatitis contrajo hepatitis [formal] they infected rats with the virus inocularon el virus a algunas ratasMore example sentences1.2 (contaminate) contaminar
More example sentences
- Children can get ringworm from touching infected animals such as dogs and cats.
- Since then, West Nile virus has spread rapidly westward, infecting birds, humans and horses.
- Mosquitoes that bite infected animals then bite humans typically transmit the disease.
- Somewhat reassured, the group try to settle down to enjoy the rest of their vacation, unaware that the diseased man's body is face down in the reservoir, infecting their water supply…
- Oh, and the guy who they burnt handily made it to the local reservoir, thereby infecting the local water supply.
- Almost every area of life is a potential terrorist target - with scare stories about the threat of a smallpox outbreak, and bioterrorists infecting food supplies and water reservoirs.
- 2 (spread emotion) his cheerfulness infected everyone around him les contagiaba su alegría a todos los que lo rodeaban, su alegría era contagiosa everyone was infected with o by the carnival mood todos se habían contagiado de la alegría del carnaval, a todos se les había contagiado la alegría del carnaval
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Palacio de Oriente, also known as the Palacio Real, is the official residence of the Spanish Royal Family. The Royal Family now lives in the Palacio de la Zarzuela, on the outskirts of Madrid.