Translation of iris in Spanish:
- 1 [Botany/Botánica] lirio (masculine)Example sentences
- The newspaperman had a love for a myriad of different flower species and soon divided his interests between roses, irises, lilacs and native California plants.
- It spreads by underground fleshy stems called rhizomes; rhizomes are found on many plants, from irises to agapanthus, from ferns to Bermuda grass.
- Daffodils, iris, tulips, gladiolus, hyacinth, and daylilies are just some of the many bulb favorites.
- 2 [Anatomy/Anatomía] iris (masculine)Example sentences
- The thin sheet of circular muscle of the iris which constricts the pupil of the eye is also known as a sphincter.
- The walking wounded were often blind, their pupils, irises, and corneas burned out.
- The colored circular membrane in the eye just behind the cornea is called the iris.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
An estanco is an establishment selling tobacco, stamps, bus and subway passes and other products whose sale is restricted. Cigarettes etc are sold in bars and cafés but at higher prices. Estancos also sell stationery and sometimes newspapers.