Translation of iron in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable 1.1 (metal) any old iron? (British English)¡chatarrero!he has a will of irontiene una (fuerza de) voluntad férrea or de hierroa man/woman of ironun hombre/una mujer de hierroas hard as iron(duro) como el aceromy muscles are as hard as irontengo músculos de acerothe ground will be as hard as iron after all this frostla tierra va a estar como piedra después de esta heladato strike while the iron is hotthere's nothing like striking while the iron's hotlo mejor es actuar de inmediato(before noun) the Iron Age
lo mejor es sobre el pucho, la escupida (River Plate area) [colloquial]la Edad de Hierrothe Iron Ladyla Dama de HierroExample sentences1.2 (in food)
- This shining metal was not raw iron but hard steel, which bent the softer wrought-iron blades of the Gauls.
- The use of certain essential materials such as iron, steel, copper, and industrial chemicals was either prohibited or restricted.
- The resulting alloy is stronger and harder than iron or bronze.
- 2 (for clothes)Example sentences
- Using an electric iron, the sheets were pressed flat.
- Omnabibi uses an electric iron for her creased clothes.
- For the middle classes, the decline of domestic servants was facilitated by the rise of domestic appliances, such as cookers, electric irons and vacuum cleaners.
- 3also: branding iron3.1hierro (masculine) de marcarto have several/too many irons in the firetener varias/demasiadas cosas entre manosdon't worry about him, he has many other irons in the fireno te preocupes por él, tiene muchos otros anzuelos echados or muchas otras redes tendidas3.2 (golf club) a seven ironun hierro sieteExample sentences3.3 (gun)
- Could not drive straight, could not manipulate the ball with irons and had a putter that was so cold it might have dripped with ice.
- Still, my thought is of the way Nicklaus seems to caress the golf ball with his irons - the balls stays longer on his clubface.
- Consequently, players of average skill should find it easier to launch the golf ball higher with newer irons.
- Gradually the business changed to supplying shoe irons for blacksmiths and began making nails.
- Small-scale manufacturers also often relied on local smiths to provide the iron parts they required, be it mill irons or parts for vehicles.
- 4also: irons plural(fetters)grilletes (masculine plural)
grillos (masculine plural)Example sentences
- My military police personnel have never had to use leg cuffs, leg irons or hand irons or belly chains to move detainees.
- Her feet were bound by irons, dress ripped ripped, and battered towards one side, while the other side draped down, just above the ankles.
- 1 (made of iron)(bar/bridge/railing)
- In fact, my mother and I also washed and ironed his clothes in case the Minister has forgotten that part of his story.
- His face is scrubbed, his clothes are ironed and his hair is slicked down.
- Even the man who ironed clothes near Jayashri's home was overawed and showed her new respect.
- (person)(fabric)this shirt doesn't iron very easily
plancharesta camisa no es muy fácil de planchar
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.