- 1 (lifting device)Example sentences
- Finally, lower the jack so the wheel is back down on the road.
- The object of this invention is to provide a light, simple and convenient jack by which to raise the wheels of automobiles, when not in use, so as to relieve the tires from the pressure due to the weight of the machine.
- With the suspension set to high, the jack needs only to lift the car fractionally to allow the wheel to be swapped.
- 2 (socket)enchufe (masculine) hembraExample sentences
- The right side is home to an earphone jack, power socket and, under a cover, a USB 2.0 port.
- They weigh 14 ounces and are powered by four AA batteries, with input capabilities for a radio or scanner, and an output jack for receiving or recording.
- An earphone jack includes an insulative housing and conductive first, second and third contact members.
- 3 3.1 (in French pack of cards)(in Spanish pack) sota (feminine)3.2 (Games)Example sentences3.3 (in bowls)
- In Korea, young girls play a game of jacks, tossing small stones onto the ground, throwing a ball up in the air, and and trying to pick the stones up before catching the ball.
- Tharp compares the work to a game of jacks, one in which you pick up an increasing number of pieces with one hand while bouncing a ball in the other.
- The product that animates Harris's work life is Crazy Bones - packs of small, brightly hued plastic figurines that are used to play a variety of games similar to jacks or marbles or dice.
- Lawn bowling required four bowls for each player and a jack for a goal.
- Two teams get four balls each and aim to get them nearest the white ball or the jack.
- The only way to develop the skill of accurately estimating the distance from the bowl to the jack is to practise doing it and keep on until you gain consistency to within a few centimetres.
- Notice also that it is not legal for East to put the jacks in the front hand, because it would then not be possible to make a middle hand that was better and a back hand that was better still from the remaining ten cards.
- Police in Xinyang, a city in Henan province, have produced a half million packs of cards with the pictures of ‘notorious suspects’ on aces, kings, queens and jacks in an effort to capture the criminals.
- If the turn-up is a Jack, dealer scores one white chip at once; if the turn-up is the Joker, dealer scores one blue chip at once and the cards are immediately thrown in.
- 4Jack and the BeanstalkJack y las habichuelas mágicasJack the Ripper I'm all right, Jack! (British English) [colloquial]mientras yo esté bien …before you can say Jack Robinson (British English)
allá se pudran los demás [colloquial]en un abrir y cerrar de ojos(before noun) Jack Frost
en menos (de lo) que canta un gallo
(car)1.2 (increase) [colloquial]
levantar (con el gato)
levantar (con el gato)
- (American English) [colloquial] (to steal)Example sentences
- They make the Evening News: they filmed a local gemstone store robbery in progress, a crime in which $10 million in jewels was jacked.
- I was far from my normal spot next to the window, but didn't partially mind the getaway from Marie who always tried to jack my seat.
- De Niro's performance communicates his longing for normalcy so well that the movie doesn't need Bassett as the moral balance who tells him to quit jacking diamonds.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.