Translation of jockey in Spanish:
noun plural jockeys
- to jockey
forsomethingthey are all jockeying for the postestán todos compitiendo por or disputándose el puestowith her retirement coming up, many editors are jockeying for positional acercarse su jubilación, muchos redactores están tratando de colocarse or (Latin America tb) de ubicarseExample sentences
- We hear endlessly this talk of a power struggle, different factions jockeying for position.
- Hands in pockets, they stand around jostling, jockeying for place, small fights breaking out and calming.
- Over 170,000 have voted since the poll began on Sunday 20 October and competition is intense with the ten contenders jockeying for position.
- to jockey somebody
into/ out ofsomethingwe jockeyed them into a position where they had to acceptlos acorralamos de tal forma que tuvieron que aceptarhe was jockeyed out of the chairmanshiplograron quitarle la presidencia a base de maniobrasExample sentences
- He's diminutive enough to jockey a horse, but he's tough enough to wear down a defense.
- It is a competition where the elite use personal connections to jockey their cronies into key positions and thus win power and influence.
- It went down like this: In mid-January Darren was jockeying the phones at Atlantic Records on a weeklong temp assignment.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.