Translation of knuckle in Spanish:
- 1.1 (finger joint) nudillo (masculine) to be near the knuckle (British English/inglés británico) [colloquial/familiar] pasarse de castaño oscuro [colloquial/familiar] to give sb a rap o to rap sb on o (especially British English/especialmente inglés británico) over the knuckles (rebuke) llamarle la atención a algn, echarle un rapapolvo a algn (Spain/España) [colloquial/familiar], darle* un café a algn (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) [colloquial/familiar] (lit: hit) darle* en los nudillos a algnExample sentences1.2 (of pork) codillo (masculine); (of veal) morcillo (masculine), jarrete (masculine)
- Brian rubbed his thumb back and forth over my index finger knuckle, tickling me a little bit.
- Raising his right hand, he laid the knuckle of his index finger against his chin.
- Today there's only a miniscule red patch next to the knuckle of my ring finger which isn't even sore.
(knuckles)(American English/inglés norteamericano) brass knuckles
- Her recipe for an olio required ‘a fowl, a couple of partridges, a piece of a leg of mutton, a knuckle of veal, and a few rump steaks; also a piece of good streaked bacon or ham’.
- There are also culinary records indicating its use for pickled pigs feet, breaded veal knuckles, and sweet breads.
- I'm still not sure what ‘capilutes of lamb’ are, but can vouch for the pork knuckle which one of my companions ordered.
knuckle downverb + adverb/verbo + adverbio ponerse* a trabajar en serioto knuckle down
knuckle underverb + adverb/verbo + adverbio ceder*, pasar por el aroto knuckle under
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Defensor del pueblo is an ombudsman nominated by the Spanish Parliament to defend the rights of citizens against government maladministration. If he upholds a complaint he advises the administration on appropriate compensation. This post, under the same name, also exists in some Latin American countries.