- 1 (in countryside) camino (m), sendero (m); (alleyway) callejón (m)More example sentences
- Then the group set off up the narrow winding lane to the main road and the lay-by.
- Sitting in front of the computer screen you get a driver's eye view as you travel along narrow streets, busy roads and winding country lanes in various weather conditions.
- We traveled to the outskirts of Osaka and we proceeded to walk through a traditional residential area with narrow lanes until we arrived at an old house.
- 2 [Transport/Transporte] 2.1 (for road traffic) carril (masculine) or (Chile) pista (feminine) or (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) senda (feminine) bus/bicycle lane carril (masculine) de autobuses/bicicletas to change lanes cambiar de carril ( or de pista etc) a three-lane highway una autopista de tres carriles ( or pistas etc) traffic is reduced to a single lane se circula por un solo carril ( or pista etc) to live in the fast lane [colloquial/familiar] vivir a toda máquina, vivir a tope (Spain/España) [colloquial/familiar] (before noun/delante del nombre) lane closure carril cerrado ( or pista cerrada etc) lane discipline disciplina (feminine) de carril ( or pista etc) lane markings líneas (feminine plural) divisorias de carriles ( or pistas etc) 2.2 (for ships) ruta (feminine) sea/shipping lane ruta marítima/de navegaciónMore example sentences2.3 (for aircraft) pasillo (m) or corredor (m) aéreo, via (f) aérea
More example sentences
- It is also geographically near the primary shipping lanes for oil tankers that ply the route between Japan and the Middle East.
- Half the world's ocean-going cargo follows shipping lanes past the islands, and rich deposits of oil and natural gas are thought to lie beneath the nearby sea.
- Plans to move the wreck of destroyer HMS Wakeful out of a shipping lane have been amended to allow the ship to safely remain where she sank during the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940.
- The eastbound carriageway will close from Monday until December 20, with traffic running in single lanes in each direction on the westbound side.
- Until then, the contraflow system on the westbound carriageway allowing a single lane of traffic in each direction will continue.
- Only the concrete dividers separating the opposing lanes of traffic broke the utter flatness.
- 3 [Sport/Deporte] 3.1 (in athletics) carril (masculine) (Latin America/América Latina) , calle (feminine) (Spain/España) 3.2 (in bowling) pista (feminine)More example sentences
More example sentences
- In the last issue, we reviewed the terms and definitions for bowling balls, lanes, and lane play.
- They come in handy when you need to cream some extra traction between your bowling ball and the lane.
- I am having problems picking out the right type of bowling ball for heavily oiled lanes.
- I like to mix up the lanes and have swimmers race a bit in practice.
- If the swimmers in lanes two and four switch places by crossing the active swimming lane between them, time and space are once again out of sync.
- Breast Stroke swimmers should avoid using lanes allocated for fast swimming.
Browse other language resources
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Cultural fact of the day
Today is a public holiday in Chile (Día de la Independencia)