Translation of late in Spanish:
adjective later, latest
- 1 (after correct, scheduled time) she apologized for the late start of the showpidió disculpas por el retraso con el que comenzó el espectáculothe late arrival/departure of the trainel retraso en la llegada/salida del trenlate applications will not be acceptedno se aceptarán las solicitudes que lleguen fuera de plazo or con retrasoto be lateI'm sorry I'm lateperdón por llegar tardeI was late (in) getting therellegué tardeyou're five minutes late!¡llegas cinco minutos tarde!the baby was two weeks lateel niño nació con dos semanas de retrasothe train was/will be one hour lateel tren llegó/llegará con una hora de retrasothe train was already one hour lateel tren ya llevaba una hora de retrasoto make something/somebody lateshe made me late for my classme hizo llegar tarde a clasethe accident made the train lateel accidente hizo que el tren se retrasarato be late
for/ withsomethingyou'll be late for work/the trainvas a llegar tarde al trabajo/perder el trenI'm late with the rentestoy atrasado con el alquileryou're rather late with your apologieses un poco tarde para pedir disculpas
- 2 2.1 (after usual time) I had a late breakfastdesayuné tardespring is late this yearla primavera se ha atrasado este añoEaster is late this year(la) Pascua cae tarde este añolate opening Thursdays till 8 pmjueves abierto hasta las 8 de la noche2.2(chrysanthemums/potatoes)late developer o (American English also) bloomer (plant)
tardíoplanta (feminine) de flor tardíahe was a late developer(physically) se desarrolló tarde(intellectually) maduró tardeExample sentences
- While in pruning mode, cut late flowering clematis hard back to a low pair of fat buds.
- Remove late flowers on peppers and eggplant to send more energy into the ripening fruit.
- The white currant is White transparent, again a late flowering variety.
- 3 3.1 (far on in time) hurry up, it's latedate prisa or (Latin America tb) apúrate, que es tardeit's late: we'd better go to bedya es tarde: mejor nos acostamosis it that late already?¿ya es tan tarde?it's getting late would Thursday be too late for you?¿te parecería muy tarde el jueves?it's too late to say you're sorry nowya es demasiado tarde para pedir perdónit's a little late in the day o (American English also) in the game to change your mindes un poco tarde para cambiar de idea45 is late for a woman to have a babya los 45 años ya se es bastante mayor para tener un niño3.2 (before noun)(shift/bus)the late film
últimola película de la noche or (Southern Cone) de trasnocheFridays, late show (Cinema)los viernes, sesión de medianoche or (Southern Cone) de trasnocheat this late houra estas horasto keep late hours at this late stagea estas alturasit was a late marriagefue un matrimonio tardíoVBM was a late entrant into the computer field
se casaron ya mayoresVBM entró tarde en el campo de la informáticathey scored a late equalizermarcaron el tanto del empate en los últimos minutos del partidowe got there late morning/afternoonllegamos tarde por la mañana/al final de la tarde or (Latin America tb) de tardecitain late April/summera finales or fines de abril/del veranothe late 1950sel final de la década del cincuentathe late Middle Ages she must be in her late fortiestendrá cerca de cincuenta añostendrá cuarenta años largos [colloquial]late Picassoel Picasso de la última épocaLate GothicExample sentences
- Sometimes it makes me late for class, and sometimes I make excuses to stay in.
- She had been asking for more breaks in the past week, and often coming in late for her shift.
- Even Chelsey claiming to be late for something and dashing off would be better.
- As the baby-boomers enter their mid to late fifties the issue of how we care for the aged is never far from the news headlines.
- It looked all over at that stage for the home team but they fought back admirably and got two late goals, one from the penalty spot.
- But the other Sheffield side showed a bit of steel as they grabbed two late goals to guarantee the celebration had to be put on hold.
- 4 (before noun) 4.1 (deceased)difunto [formal]my late fathermi difunto padre [formal]Example sentences4.2 (former)
- If the late princess were still alive, however, she might have changed her mind about him.
- She said her husband's late sister had complained to the council on their behalf and they had understood something was going to be done.
- He was husband of the late Kathleen and was a popular and prominent member of the local rural community.
adverb later, latest
- 1 (after correct, scheduled time)(arrive/leave/answer)the trains are running 20 minutes late
tardelos trenes llevan 20 minutos de retrasobetter late than neverExample sentences
- The unofficial action was expected to end late last evening, with services returning to normal by today.
- Cathy was never late and expected the same when you met her for dinner.
- The second phase is expected to start late this year or early next year.
- 2 2.1 (after usual time)(work/sleep)
hasta tarde(mature/bloom)I'll be home late today
más tarde de lo normalhoy llegaré tarde (a casa)the shops close late on Thursdayslas tiendas cierran tarde los juevesExample sentences2.2 (far on in time) he married late
se casó mayor or tardedon't leave it too lateno lo dejes para muy tardethe show doesn't start till lateel espectáculo empieza tardewe stayed up latenos quedamos levantados hasta tardelate at nighttarde por la nochelate into the night
- Children were also to be made safer - safer from their irresponsible parents who allowed them to stay out late at night.
- I stay up late at night reading stupid Philosophy readings and wake up early to read some more.
- It would probably help if I hadn't stayed up too late last night making a fiction index.
bien entrada la nochehasta muy entrada la nocheExample sentences2.3 (toward end of period) late in the morning/afternoon
a última hora de la mañana/tardelate in the weeka finales de la semanait was not until late in the century/in her career that …no fue sino hacia finales de siglo/los últimos años de su carrera que …
- These headlines are all drawn from just a three day period late in September.
- That was in the context of a writ issued late in the limitation period.
- He commanded troops in Guangdong and advocated a fight to the finish late in the war.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.