Translation of layoff in Spanish:
- 1 (act)(US)
despido (masculine)(British) (suspensión temporal por falta de trabajo)Example sentences
- The temporary lay-off of over 650 workers at the mines will begin on November 17 and 50 workers will be kept on for essential maintenance.
- A spokesman said lay-offs among temporary staff were part of the cyclical nature of the business and that the 350 permanent employees had not been affected.
- ‘You would imagine that some of the negative speculation about the market and the recent spate of lay-offs would have had some effect, but so far there is no sign of it,’ he said.
- 2 (period)período (masculine) de desempleoExample sentences
- The British number one made his comeback last month after a lengthy lay-off with a shoulder injury, but lost his first two matches back on the tour.
- Despite a lengthy lay-off from the sport, he showed that he has lost none of his speed or punching technique.
- Injury in South Africa was yet another cruel blow to a young man who had fought back from a long period of enforced lay-off through injury.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.