See parent entry: lead
- 1verb + adverb + preposition + object/verbo + adverbio + preposición + complemento to lead off
withsth empezar* or comenzar* conalgo
- (American English/inglés norteamericano) (in baseball) primero en turno, primero al bate lead-off runner primer, (masculine, feminine) relevoExample sentences
- He strikes out the lead-off man, then walks the next three batters.
- In the '70s the idea of a lead-off man hitting 30 home runs was preposterous.
- The largest determination of how many runs are likely to be scored in an inning is whether or not the lead-off man reaches base.