Translation of leaf in Spanish:
noun plural leaves
- 1 countable (of plant, tree) the trees are not in leaf yetlos árboles no tienen hojas todavíathe oak is coming into leafel roble está echando hojasto shake o tremble like a leaf (before noun) leaf bud leaf spinach
al roble le están saliendo hojashojas (feminine plural) de espinaca (sin picar)Example sentences
- The female Thrypticus deposits an egg in a water-hyacinth petiole - the stalk that attaches the leaf to the stem.
- Shoots of M. micrantha were separated into stems, leaves, and reproductive organs.
- The egg-sacs are deposited in twisted leaves or may be directly attached to a leaf.
- To provide a backdrop to this foliage-ruled leafscape, use climbers to link together canopies of leaf.
- She kept her eyes straight ahead as she flew over the rest of the clearing and then into a dense forest, her bare feet racing and leaping over stone and leaf.
- Providing you prepare the soil well, and top dress every year with more compost, you can plant climbers quite densely, two or three feet apart, for a wealth of leaf, colour and scent.
- This type of smokeless tobacco comes in loose leaf, plugs or twists.
- In other words, tobacco used to be a herbal medicine but public experimentation led to the smoking of the tobacco leaf.
- So I got some tobacco leaf, mixed it with water and gave it to the baby.
- 2 countable (page, sheet) to take a leaf out of somebody's bookseguir el ejemplo de alguiento turn (over) a new leafreformarse
hacer borrón y cuenta nuevaExample sentences
- There stood my ‘sister’, and a small box containing a single leaf of paper.
- With stifled sobs, she unfolded the single leaf of paper from within and began to read the rigid, soldier-like writing.
- He went over to her and took the book from her hand; still keeping the page he then marked the page with a small leaf of paper.
- (American English)echar hojasExample sentences
- But if you prune back hard or after the tree leafs out in spring, it may be slower to come into bloom that year.
- Ash trees were leafing up, the hedges were thick.
- Most trees are leafing out already; some have made significant progress.
- You can turn the pages as though leafing through the book.
- Next to that is another device - a page turner that automatically leafs through any book placed on a raised platform, operated at the touch of a button.
- He approached it on tip toes, leafing through a pile of papers on the surface.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.