- 1 1.1 (allowed)(tackle/move)Example sentences1.2 (founded upon law)
(contract/requirement/constraint/rights)he is the legal ownerthe contract is legal and bindinges el legítimo propietarioshe was below the legal ageel contrato tiene validez legal y es obligatorio para las partesthey decided to make their relationship legalno tenía la edad establecida por la leydecidieron legalizar sus relacionesExample sentences
- In other words, the big killers in Scotland are the legal drugs - tobacco and alcohol.
- Alcohol is, of course, a legal and socially acceptable drug, even though it may actually be more harmful to the body than some of the illegal drugs.
- By far the most dangerous drugs are legal, with alcohol and tobacco, accounting for 150,000 deaths every year.
- The other vehicles in its fleet do not meet the legal requirements and in effect should not be allowed on the road.
- Complaints requiring legal action will be forwarded to the Ministry of Justice.
- Oh sure, it's a legal requirement for someone such as me who is a contractor.
- 2 (relating to legal system, profession) (before noun)(department)legal coststhe legal professioncostas (feminine plural)(lawyers)los abogadoslos letrados [formal](professional activity)she entered the legal professionla abogacíashe has started legal proceedings against themse hizo abogadato seek legal adviceha procedido (judicialmente) en contra de ellosles ha entablado pleitowe will be forced to take legal actionconsultar a un abogadoasesorarse con un abogadonos veremos obligados a poner el asunto en manos de nuestro(s) abogado(s)Example sentences
- This was no doubt the expensive legal advice it was given.
- Texas's public defence system which provides legal advice for those who can't afford it, is notorious for its abysmal standards.
- He declined to name them but said he advised the officials to seek legal advice and to speak with their insurers.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.