Translation of length in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable/no numerable 1.1 (of line, surface) longitud (feminine), largo (masculine); (of sleeve, coat) largo (masculine) the curtains are the wrong length las cortinas son demasiado largas/cortas two pieces of equal o the same length dos pedazos de igual longitud or del mismo largo the hallway is 5m in length el pasillo mide or tiene 5 metros de largo the cable runs the length of the street el cable va todo a lo largo de la calle he traveled the length and breadth of the country viajó a lo largo y (a lo) ancho del país the beach is polluted along its entire length la playa está contaminada en toda su extensión the road was lined with policemen along its entire length había policías todo a lo largo de la carretera to go to great/any/enormous lengths he went to great lengths to send me the money hizo todo lo posible para enviarme el dinero he'd go to any lengths to get what he wants es capaz de hacer cualquier cosa con tal de obtener lo que se propone she went to enormous lengths to help us se desvivió por ayudarnos he even went to the length(s) of hiring a private detective llegó al extremo de contratar a un detective privado to measure one's length [humorous/humorístico] he measured his length on the floor cayó al suelo cuan largo eraExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (of book, list) extensión (feminine)
- Being around three to four inches in length they are also just the right size for tench fishing.
- Although seldom more than three inches in length, the hair may be cut to a quarter of an inch at the nape of the neck.
- The very biggest may have reached 40 metres in length and weighed close to 100 metric tons.
- Walking down to the legal precinct this morning the full two-block length of Hyde Park was beautiful.
- She was dressed in a long peachy pink dress that hugged her bust tightly, and was long and loose for the rest of the garment's length.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable 2.1 (duration) after a considerable length of time después de mucho tiempo I like visiting New York, but I wouldn't want to live there for any length of time me gusta visitar Nueva York, pero no me gustaría quedarme allí a vivir the length of the show la duración del espectáculo, lo que dura el espectáculo the length of his absence lo prolongado de su ausencia in a speech of great length en un largo or extenso discurso he slept throughout the length of the sermon durmió durante todo el sermón length of service antigüedad (feminine) ([ en el trabajo ]) 2.2 (of vowel) [Linguistics/Lingüística] longitud (feminine)Example sentences2.3at length (finally) finalmente, por fin (for a long time) extensamente, por extenso (in detail) con detenimiento, detenidamente to talk at length hablar largo y tendido
- As Navajo is a tone language, an error in tone or vowel length can be embarrassing to the listener.
- In our research, stress is treated as a function of syllable length.
- 3 countable/numerable (section — of wood, pipe) trozo (masculine); (— of river, road) tramo (masculine), parte (feminine) to cut sth into equal/short lengths cortar algo en trozos iguales/cortos a length of cloth un corte de tela, una tela a dress length un corte de vestidoExample sentences
- Maria carefully rolled the piece, winding a length of sticky tape around the tube, stowing it in her bag.
- Suddenly he was behind me, a length of white cord stretched tightly between his two hands.
- ‘You can still see pebbles in the stone,’ says Gerry, caressing the surface of a length of wall down by Kaleyard's Gate.
- 4 countable/numerable [Sport/Deporte] 4.1 (in swimming) largo (masculine) I swam o did 12 lengths nadé or (me) hice 12 largos 4.2 (in horse, dog racing) cuerpo (masculine); (in rowing) largo (masculine)Example sentences
- The bay colt won a maiden race by seven lengths at Del Mar on August 17 in his second career start.
- They led the whole race finishing a boat length ahead of the Irish.
- As they moved through the middle of the race the Evers-Swindells had extended their lead to a boat length over Germany.
- Splitting her time between homes in Knightsbridge and Gloucestershire, she swims her daily 30 lengths in a swimming pool fitted with underwater speakers.
- Keith Green, of Robin Close, Warminster is to swim 65 lengths of the Kingdown swimming pool in Warminster for MacMillan Cancer Relief.
- Two years ago, Kevin O'Donnell could barely swim 12 lengths of his local swimming pool and would drag himself totally exhausted from the water.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Primaria is the name given in Spain to the first of the two compulsory levels of education. It is for pupils between six and twelve years of age and leads to the