- 1 countable/numerable 1.1 (permit) permiso (m), licencia (f) fishing/hunting license permiso de pesca/caza import/export license permiso de importación/exportación liquor license permiso para vender bebidas alcohólicas they were married by special license (in (United Kingdom/el Reino Unido) ) se casaron con una licencia especial to manufacture sth under license fabricar* algo bajo licencia pilot's license licencia de piloto, brevet (masculine) (Southern Cone/Cono Sur) it's a license to print money es una mina de oro (before noun/delante del nombre) license agreement licencia (feminine) license fee (in (United Kingdom/el Reino Unido) ) [Television/Televisión]cantidad que se paga por tener un televisor license holder (British English/inglés británico) titular de un permiso o licencia license number (American English/inglés norteamericano) [Cars/Automovilismo] número (masculine) de matrícula or (Southern Cone/Cono Sur) de patente license plate matrícula (f), placa (f), patente (f) (Southern Cone/Cono Sur) , chapa (feminine) (River Plate area/Río de la Plata)More example sentences1.2driver's license
- Virtually no account is taken of the often cruel results of losing one's licence - loss of job, and all that can follow from that.
- Phantom was a former pirate radio station, which had tried several times to get an official radio licence.
- All stockings must first be washed in an approved disinfectant and hung on boundary gateposts together with a copy of the official licence.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable 2.1 (freedom) the editor permitted himself considerable license el editor se tomó bastantes libertades poetic/dramatic/artistic license licencia (feminine) poética/dramática/artística 2.2 (excessive freedom) [formal] libertinaje (masculine)More example sentences
- I believe that the Government has taken excessive licence from the views of the select committee.
- Equally important, it protects freedom from itself, tempering excesses of individual license by postulating a higher moral code.
- By avoiding the messiness of debate that a real democracy requires, we have given license to the excesses we now bemoan.
- autorizar*, otorgarle* un permiso or una licencia a this taxi is licensed to carry up to four passengers este taxi está autorizado para transportar hasta cuatro pasajerosMore example sentences
- The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 requires a keeper of a dangerous wild animal to be licensed by the local authority and to take out insurance against liability to third parties.
- Each signed a separate agreement and each agreement provided that the licensor might also occupy the premises or might license others to occupy jointly with the licensees.
- A vehicle with seven seats or less, like a black cab, was classed as a taxi and had to be licensed by the local authority.