adj (-lier, -liest)
- 1.1 (probable) [outcome/winner] probable she's a likely choice tiene muchas posibilidades de que la elijan I prepared for the most likely questions preparé las preguntas que era más probable que me hicieran rain is likely es posible or probable que llueva it's more than likely that she's out lo más seguro es que no esté how likely is it that they'll come? ¿qué probabilidades hay de que vengan? a likely story! [ironic/irónico] ¡cuéntame otra! [ironic/irónico], ¡no me digas! [ironic/irónico]to be likely to +
infinitive/infinitivoit is likely to be a tough match lo más probable es que sea un partido difícil are you likely to be in tomorrow? ¿estarás en casa mañana? they're not very likely to agree no es muy probable que aceptenMore example sentences1.2 (promising) she's the most likely applicant es la candidata con más posibilidades here's a likely-looking customer aquí viene un posible cliente this is a likely place to find a telephone aquí tiene que haber un teléfono
- It is likely that many Australian homes do not even have a Bible, and those that do, leave it unread.
- If the legs move at each strain it is likely that the cow will calve without too much trouble.
- We are still finalising the design but it is likely that these specific premises will be affected.
The Basque autonomous police force is called Ertzaintza. Its members, called ertzainas, wear a uniform of red sweaters and berets, and white jackets. Despite the Ertzaintza's wide range of responsibilities, the Guardia Civil and Policía Nacional still operate in the Basque Country.
- most likely she'll forget lo más probable es que se olvide as likely as not it'll be closed lo más probable es que esté cerrado maybe she's gone out — quite likely/more than likely quizás haya salido — es lo más probable/con seguridad not likely! [colloquial/familiar] ¡ni hablar! [colloquial/familiar]More example sentences
- By the laws of probability, the culprit was most likely an obnoxious American tourist.
- Maybe even him, if he was strong enough, but more then likely the older females would fight.
- I explained it was most likely the blonde hair making my skin colour look different in contrast.