transitive verb/verbo transitivo (-pp-)
- 1.1 [tree] podarMore example sentences1.2
- Several months ago I had to ask the current owner to remove a limb from my rockery and he informed me that Council allow him to lop this tree.
- SEVERAL 60-year-old trees were lopped at the Park last week, prompting an angry reaction from residents.
- The problem is not without solution, for if trees are lopped methodically, they can still give a large quantity of fodder, and yet not become weak and scraggy.
lop (off)[branch] cortar, podar; [paragraph] eliminar, podar [colloquial/familiar]More example sentences
More example sentences
- The inescapable conclusion after reading the book is that we are not just dealing with a few unhealthy branches which can be lopped off restoring the tree to health.
- Many of the native branches have been lopped off.
- Big branches and branches only on the side of overhanging wires are lopped off, leaving the tree unbalanced.
- This gives me even more incentive to do the swimathon as the training will help lop off a few pounds.
- Investors no longer persuaded that unprofitable units of a media empire make up for their bottom-line shortcomings by contributing content, will demand the company lop them off.
- The move was welcomed by industry leaders, while homeowners could see £12 lopped from monthly payments on an average £80,000 mortgage.
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.