Translation of lop in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (-pp-)
- 1.1 [tree] podarExample sentences1.2
- Several months ago I had to ask the current owner to remove a limb from my rockery and he informed me that Council allow him to lop this tree.
- SEVERAL 60-year-old trees were lopped at the Park last week, prompting an angry reaction from residents.
- The problem is not without solution, for if trees are lopped methodically, they can still give a large quantity of fodder, and yet not become weak and scraggy.
lop (off)[branch] cortar, podar; [paragraph] eliminar, podar [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences
- The inescapable conclusion after reading the book is that we are not just dealing with a few unhealthy branches which can be lopped off restoring the tree to health.
- Many of the native branches have been lopped off.
- Big branches and branches only on the side of overhanging wires are lopped off, leaving the tree unbalanced.
- This gives me even more incentive to do the swimathon as the training will help lop off a few pounds.
- Investors no longer persuaded that unprofitable units of a media empire make up for their bottom-line shortcomings by contributing content, will demand the company lop them off.
- The move was welcomed by industry leaders, while homeowners could see £12 lopped from monthly payments on an average £80,000 mortgage.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The language of the Basque Country and Navarre is euskera, spoken by around 750,000 people; in Spanish vasco or vascuence. It is also spelled euskara. Basque is unrelated to the Indo-European languages and its origins are unclear.