Translation of loss in Spanish:
- 1 (of possessions, jobs, faculties) heat/energy lossthe ship sank with the loss of 21 livespérdida de calor/energíathe coup was carried out without loss of lifeel naufragio se cobró 21 vidasif she does leave, she'll be no great lossel golpe se llevó a cabo sin que hubiera que lamentar víctimas or sin derramamiento de sangreit's their loss not mineno se pierde nada con que se vayathey were filled with a keen sense of lossson ellos los que salen perdiendo or los que se lo pierdento be at a lossthe news left me completely at a losssintieron un gran vacíoI'm at a loss what to do nextno supe cómo reaccionar ante la noticiaI was at a loss for words he's never at a loss for wordsno sé qué hacer ahoratiene respuesta para todo
- 2 2.1 (Business, Finance) the company made a huge lossI made a loss of $100 on the dealla compañía sufrió grandes pérdidasa tax lossperdí 100 dólares en el negocioto sell something at a lossuna pérdida desgravablewe cannot continue trading at a lossvender algo con pérdidato be a dead loss [colloquial]this typewriter is a dead lossno podemos seguir operando con déficithe's a dead loss as an organizeresta máquina de escribir no sirve para nada or [colloquial] es una porqueríato cut one's lossescomo organizador es un desastre or una calamidad(Finance)2.2 (in insurance)reducir las pérdidasExample sentences
- The reason for the possible job losses is possible barrack closures at the Garrison.
- They have admitted the financial crisis could mean more job losses and ward closures.
- His own school is facing job losses as it is in the process of moving from two forms of entry to one.
- 3 3.1 (bereavement) [euphemistic] the loss of a dear one3.2la pérdida de un ser queridoalso: losses plural(deaths) (Military)bajas (feminine plural)Example sentences
- We are all subject to the pain of loss, grief, sadness and even plain disappointment.
- The large crowds at the funeral ceremonies reflected the sense of loss and grief felt throughout the neighbourhood.
- You should be careful of people's deeply felt grief and sense of loss before you dismiss them as selfish cynics.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.