- 1.1 (before n, no comp) [purpose/idea] principal, fundamental, más importante; [door/bedroom] principal; [office] central the main thing lo principal, lo fundamental, lo más importante I have my main meal (of the day) in the evening hago la comida principal or fuerte por la noche main beam [Archit] viga (f) maestra main clause [Ling] oración (f) principal main course plato (m) principal or fuerte, segundo plato (m) main deck cubierta (f) principal main street calle (f) principal Main Street (AmE) la Calle Mayor (provincial attitude) la mentalidad pequeñoburguesa norteamericana de provinciasMore example sentences1.2in the main en general, por lo general, por regla general
- With the forthcoming London mayoral elections in June, the three main candidates have thrown their hats into the ring.
- The only way out is the one and only main gate.
- I wandered about, and sat for a while in the main choir listening to the organ.
Each of the 55 different administrative areas into which Spain is divided is called a provincia. Each provincia includes a main city or town, sometimes more, depending on its social and economic power. The provincial capital usually has the same name as the province.
- 1 [Civil Eng] [Const] 1.1 c (pipe) cañería (f) or tubería (f) principal or de distribución; (cable) cable (m) principalMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (supply) the main o (BrE) the mains la red de suministro to turn the water/gas off at the main o (BrE) the mains cerrar la llave (principal) del agua/del gas you can run it off the mains (BrE) [Elec] se puede conectar a la red
- It was also delivering water to the camp, where many mains and sewage pipes are broken.
- Numerous leaks have developed from broken water pipes and mains.
- There were reports of broken water and gas mains around northern Kyushu, and bullet trains and other railways and subways suspended operations, but later resumed running.
- Faulks said the alarm was not properly connected to electrical mains and would have had to rely on a back-up battery even if switched on.