Translation of majority in Spanish:
noun/nombre (plural -ties)
- 1 1.1 (greater number) (+ singular or plural verb/+ verbo en singular o plural) mayoría (feminine) the majority were o was not in favor la mayoría no estaba a favor in the vast majority of cases en la inmensa mayoría de los casos a majority of households now own a TV hoy en día la mayoría de los hogares dispone de un televisor to be in the majority ser* mayoría the silent majority la mayoría silenciosa (before noun/delante del nombre) [decision/party] mayoritario majority holding o interest participación (feminine) mayoritaria it was approved by a majority vote se aprobó por mayoría (de votos)Example sentences
Example sentences1.2 (margin) mayoría (feminine), margen (masculine) a two-thirds majority una mayoría de dos tercios simple o (in British English also/en inglés británico también) relative majority mayoría simple or relativa they voted by a narrow majority to return to work ganó por una estrecha mayoría or por un estrecho margen el voto a favor de volver al trabajo
- Should I really just accept decisions of the majority of the town council, and not speak out if I believe them to be wrong?
- I totally agree with the thought that he is mistaken in the majority of his decisions, don't you?
- Medieval agriculture was undertaken by peasants who of course constituted the overwhelming majority of the total population.
- McKibbin is right, however, to point out that massive Parliamentary majorities emasculate political parties and their ideologies.
- In last June's general elections, the party lost its parliamentary majority.
- Following a number of defections from other parties, Thai Rak Thai commanded an absolute majority in parliament.
- At the last general election in 2001 he had a majority of 4,275 votes over the Conservative candidate.
- He currently has a majority of 4,922 votes - surely enough to defeat the Conservative in second place.
- In this example, the clear winner is candidate A with a majority over Candidate B of 5,000.
- 2 (adulthood) mayoría (feminine) de edad to reach the age of o attain o come into one's majority llegar* a or alcanzar* la mayoría de edadExample sentences
- David was not convicted of a criminal offence after the age of majority.
- As each beneficiary reaches the age of majority, the rule in Saunders and Vautier may apply.
- That injunction was of unlimited duration, although it would inevitably end when the ward reached the age of majority.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.