intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1.1 [ice/butter] derretirse*; [metal/wax] fundirse the candy melted in his mouth el caramelo se le deshizo or se le disolvió en la boca 1.2 (become mild, gentle) [person] ablandarse; [anger] desaparecer* he melted in her arms se derritió en sus brazosMore example sentences
More example sentences1.3to melt
- I would just look into his beautiful eyes and melt.
- Jadelyn followed his gaze and nearly melted at the tenderness with which he looked at his sister and how protective he was of her.
- It was a smile Elizabeth had never seen on her husband's face before; one so full of love and tenderness that her heart melted.
- Without another word, he vanished, melted away into the shadows, which slowly began to dissolve.
- Rowena's frown melted away as she sensed the air cooling dramatically.
- After listening to a five-minute speech outside County Hall - empty of staff for the bank holiday - they melted away as peacefully as they had come.
intosth her grimace melted into a smile la mueca se le transformó en sonrisa they melted into the crowd se perdieron en la muchedumbre he just melts into the background pasa desapercibido the scenes melt into one another las escenas se funden unas con otras
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (liquefy) [snow/butter] derretir* 1.2 (make gentle, compassionate) their cries melted her heart su llanto la conmovióMore example sentences
- This snow didn't melt as soon as it touched you… it stuck to your skin and sat there before slowly melting away.
- The blizzards had ceased three days ago and the remaining snow was swiftly melting away in the face of the late January sun.
- It was all covered in white frost, glinting and melting away with the first rays of the sun, making it a perfect picture for a postcard.
melt awayverb + adverb/verbo + adverbio 1.1 [ice/snow] derretirse* 1.2 (disappear) [mist/fog] levantarse, disiparse; [fear/suspicion] disiparse, desvanecerse*; [confidence] desvanecerse*, esfumarse; [resistance/opposition] desaparecer*, esfumarse they melted away into the woods desaparecieron ocultándose en el bosque
melt down verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento [gold/coins/jewelry] fundir 1.1verb + adverb/verbo + adverbio (in nuclear reactor) [core] fundirse ([ accidentalmente ])