- 1.1 u c [Chem] [Metall] metal (m); (before n) [box/clasp/plating] metálico, de metal metal detector detector (m) de metales metal fatigue fatiga (f) del metalMore example sentences1.2 u (on roads) (BrE) grava (f)
More example sentences1.3 u (liquid glass) [Tech] vidrio (m) fundido
- Earthen materials like steel, metal and granite are hard to get these days.
- Known as shape-memory materials, they are metal alloys or polymers that accomplish similar feats in different ways.
- The result was a new, hard metal, Bessemer steel, ideal for rail-making.
More example sentences
- In common with other specifications for road construction the contractors had to remove all ‘fixed stones’ from the bed on which road metal was laid.
- For all we knew they could have just been road metal.
- 96 Drains were usually constructed 18 in. square and were built with lime-mortared masonry walls that supported flat slab stones beneath the road metal.
- In 1952 he thought about using the bed of molten metal to form the flat glass, eliminating altogether the need for the rollers.
Santería is a religious cult, fusing African beliefs and Catholicism, which developed among African Yoruba slaves in Cuba. Followers believe both in a single supreme being and also in orishas, deities who each share an identity with a Christian saint and who combine a force of nature with human characteristics. Rituals involve music, dancing, sacrificial offerings, divination, and going into trances.