Translation of middle in Spanish:
- 1 (of object, place)(half-way line) mitad (feminine)it stood in the middle of the roomestaba en el centro or en (el) medio or en la mitad de la habitaciónthey were playing in the middle of the roadestaban jugando en (el) medio or en la mitad de la callemuch of the play was confined to the middle of the fieldel partido se concentró en el centro del campothe industries are concentrated in the middle of the countrylas industrias se concentran en el centro del paísin the middle of nowherequién sabe dóndeen el quinto pino (Spain) [colloquial]donde el diablo perdió el poncho (South America) [colloquial]we cut the cake down the middlepartimos el pastel por la mitadto split something down the middledividir algo por la mitadthe party is split down the middle over this issueel partido está dividido en dos sectores de opinión sobre este problemaExample sentences
- If the action is in the middle, both sides are cropped.
- Well here I have a single bed, so, my favourite side is the middle.
- In the middle of the two sides of this are large domes built on pillars of the same height as those of the outer arcade and an upper gallery runs all round it.
- 2 (of period, activity) in the middle of the week/month/year/centurya mediados de semana/mes/año/sigloit's the middle of winterestamos en pleno inviernoin the middle of the day the temperature can reach …alrededor del medio día la temperatura suele alcanzar …in the middle of the night/concerten la mitad de la noche/del conciertoto be in the middle of something/
-ingI'm in the middle of cooking dinnerestoy preparando la cenaI'm in the middle of a really exciting novel at the momenten este momento estoy leyendo una novela muy interesantewe were right in the middle of eating when the doorbell rangsonó el timbre justo cuando estábamos comiendoto knock somebody into the middle of next week [colloquial]romperle el alma or la crisma a alguien [colloquial]
- 3 (waist) the water came up to his middleel agua le llegaba a la cinturaExample sentences
- She was shorter than I was by a good ten inches, round about the middle, but with the firm energy that my father used to possess.
- He was tall and broad-chested, if a bit round at the middle, and dressed much better than these other two.
- One was slightly large round the middle, the other wearing a very short skirt and denim jacket.
- (before noun) the middle house of the threede las tres, la casa de en medio or del mediomiddle fingerdedo (masculine) medio or del corazónshe was the middle childella era la (hija) de en medio or del mediowe had reached the middle point of our journeyhabíamos llegado a la mitad de nuestro recorridoin his middle yearsen su madurezExample sentences
- Each member of the team is credited with the time of the fifth team member to cross the finish line; this is the middle member of a nine-person team.
- In their middle years, the members of the Baby Boom generation will face the inevitability of their mortality.
- Denami, the middle brother, comes upon this bear and, thinking it killed the first brother, vows revenge.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.