Translation of motion in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable (movement) to be in motionestar en movimientoto set o put something in motion
moverseponer algo en movimiento(project/plan)it set in motion a whole chain of consequences
poner algo en marchadesencadenó toda una serie de consecuenciassee also → slow motionExample sentences1.2 countable (action, gesture) he made a cutting motion with his hand
hizo ademán de cortar algo con la manoto go through the motionsthey know they have the contract, but they still have to go through the motionssaben que tienen el contrato, pero igual tienen que cumplir con las formalidadeshe went through the motions of interviewing themlos entrevistó por pura fórmulaExample sentences
- Sir Isaac Newton formulated a single law of gravitation based on Kepler's three laws of planetary motion.
- Johannes Kepler formulated the laws of planetary motion, but died in relative poverty and obscurity in 1631.
- For Darwin, matter is not static but is constantly in motion, dynamic, so the universe itself is bursting with life, motion, energy.
- Mrs. Benson held the storm door firmly shut and smiled saccharinely at the girls while making shooing motions with her free hand.
- Would they understand a summoning gesture as ‘come here’ or a pushing-away motion as ‘go away’?
- In a delicate motion Maria placed her free hand on Erik's, soaking in the warmth of his skin.
- 2 2.1 (for vote) to propose a motion to vote on a motionsometer una moción a voto or a votaciónto carry o pass a motionaprobar una mociónthe motion was rejected/defeatedse rechazó/no se aprobó la mociónExample sentences2.2 (Law)
- He would not be able to live down the embarrassment in the event of someone telephoning him, as it was he who proposed the motion at committee to ban mobiles.
- He planned to propose a motion to City of York Council, calling on it to back the campaign.
- Later on Tuesday, Curley made a motion to defer further consideration of the health budget until his questions could be answered.
- Over the next several years, there were many motions for temporary court orders relating to custody and access.
- On March 15, the defense had to file a motion for a court order to force the prosecution to turn over the rest of the evidence.
- The Attorney General opposed the motion for substitution on procedural grounds.
- 3(British English) (Medicine) [formal]to have o pass a motion
deposición (feminine) [formal]Example sentences
- We excluded children who had had more than four bowel motions in the 24 hours before admission.
- Symptoms include frequent bowel motions, a sense of fullness and often headache and anxiety.
- It may also turn your urine very dark; bowel motions become pale.
- she motioned to her assistantle hizo una señal a su ayudantethey motioned to us to sit downnos hicieron señas para que nos sentáramoshe motioned for silencehizo una señal pidiendo silencioExample sentences
- No doubt he had our best interests at heart as he motioned us towards the downward-bound funicular.
- She acknowledged my return with a wave, motioning me to sit down at my desk.
- A friend of Delia's, Ben Lewis, spots us and waves madly, motioning us to sit down with him.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.