transitive verb -gg-
- 1 1.1 (pester) don't nag me: I'll do it in a minuteto nag somebody to +deja de fastidiarme or [colloquial] darme la lata, enseguida lo hago
infinitiveshe nagged him into painting the kitchendarle la lata a alguien para que + subjunctive1.2 (criticize) See examples:he's always nagging her for being untidyno paró hasta conseguir que pintara la cocinasiempre le está encima con que es desordenada
intransitive verb -gg-
- 1 1.1 (pester) they nag and nag until they get what they wantto nagno paran de fastidiar hasta que consiguen lo que quieren
atsomebody1.2 (criticize, scold) to nagfastidiar or [colloquial] darle la lata a alguien atsomebodyestarle encima aalguienExample sentences
- I'm a formerly skinny guy who has put on quite a bit of weight after my girlfriend nagged me constantly to do so.
- We extend a welcome to all you women who constantly nag your husbands to complete those unfinished jobs, now is your chance to learn the skills yourself.
- He keeps telling me I need to exercise and he nags me about it constantly, also commenting on what I should eat and ways to fight nausea.
- 2also: nagging present participle2.1 2.2(husband/wife)Example sentences
- She hears it every day, niggling and nagging in the back of her mind, reminding her that she failed.
- The only faint worry still nagging at the back of his mind was about his dream.
- But there are nagging doubts about just how durable this recovery really is.
- (horse) [colloquial] [pejorative]Example sentences
- He'd come all the way on a poor nag who should have been retired to the pastures a long time ago.
- I'll never forget the look on her face the first time she sat on the old nag!
- They weren't exactly a friendly group - they had hard, cold eyes, and those that rode on horses had only nags.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.