Translation of near in Spanish:
adjective -er, -est
- 1 1.1 (in position) several of the nearer constellationsvarias de las constelaciones más cercanas or próximasthe nearest storela tienda más cercanathese binoculars make everything look very nearcon estos prismáticos parece que todo está muy cercaExample sentences1.2 (in time)
Example sentences1.3 (in approximation) the two shades were very near
- Once over the top the survivors had a clear view of the building in the near distance.
- Gardens and trees could be seen along the railway and highway, in contrast to the vast desert in the near distance.
- From his map, he knows there is an oasis somewhere in the near distance.
los dos tonos eran muy parecidosthat's the nearest thing to an apology you can expect from himeso es lo más parecido a una disculpa que se puede esperar de élExample sentences1.4 (closely related)
- However, he insisted the EGM would be going ahead in the near future.
- We are going ahead with that and there will be reserves in the near future.
- Rudin says that a meeting with the judge who controls space allocation in Old City Hall is expected in the near future.
- Despite my near despair, I was in my usual seat yesterday afternoon.
- A bullock cart, the cause of the near disaster, materialized from the flurry.
- Durrant leaned in close to his newest acquaintance and spoke in a near whisper.
- A near relative is the larger and better-known Chinese water chestnut.
- Other fossil animals may be assignable to the Vetulicolia or their near relatives.
- Many a times, even the near relatives do not reveal the information about the boy's family.
adverb -er, -est
- 1 1.1 (in position) I go home for lunch as I live quite nearvoy a almorzar a casa porque vivo muy cercaI've got a cold, so don't come any nearerestoy resfriado, así que no te (me) acerquesdon't go any nearer to the edgeno te acerques más al bordefrom near and farde todas partesExample sentences1.2 (in time) your birthday's getting near now
se acerca tu cumpleañoswe're getting near to Christmasya falta poco para Navidadwe'll have another rehearsal nearer to the actual dayharemos otro ensayo cuando estemos más cerca de la fecha1.3 (in approximation) it's not exactly the same, but it comes pretty nearno es exactamente igual pero se le parece mucho or [colloquial] le anda cercaher work is very near to perfectsu trabajo es casi perfectothe total will be nearer to $1,000 than $500el total va a estar más cerca de 1.000 que de 500 dólaresthis is the nearest to what you wantesto es lo más parecido a lo que tú quieres1.4 (on the verge of)near
- Cars from near and far converged in the night to watch the mountains glow red.
- He scares away anyone who comes near and then feels sorry for himself when he realizes he is alone.
- After he moved in he didn't know if he would be able to sleep with her so near and not hold her in his arms.
tosomething/ -ingshe was near to tearsestaba al borde de las lágrimas or a punto de echarse a llorarmanagement and unions are near to an agreementla empresa y los sindicatos están a punto de llegar a un acuerdoI came very near to hitting himestuve a punto de pegarle
por poco le pegoExample sentences
- I near shrieked as he fell to the floor, a perfect, coin shaped hole, dotted between his eyebrows.
- We damn near won against the most corrupt and well-oiled slime machine in history.
- I damn near laughed at the pathetic expression on his face as he holds up his decapitated hand!
- 2 (nearly) are you anywhere near finished? [colloquial]¿ya estás por terminar?that's nowhere near enough [colloquial]
¿te falta poco para terminar?con eso no alcanza, ni mucho menosare you ready? — nowhere near! [colloquial]¿estás listo? — ¡ni soñar! or (in River Plate area also) ¡ni miras!it'll cost $1,000, near enough [colloquial]costará 1.000 dólares, o por ahí [colloquial]it's near enough complete now [colloquial]ya está casi or prácticamente terminado
preposition -er, -est
- 1 (in position) I live near the stationvivo cerca de la estaciónthe room nearest the entrancela habitación que está más cerca de la entradadon't go too near the fireno te acerques demasiado al fuegois there a pay phone near here?¿hay algún teléfono público por aquí cerca or cerca de aquí?she won't let anyone near the kitchenno quiere que nadie se meta en la cocina
- 2 (in time) we're getting very near Christmasfalta muy poco para Navidadwe'll discuss it again nearer the timelo discutiremos de nuevo más cerca de la fechathe Monday nearest New Year's Dayel lunes más próximo al día de Año Nuevo
- 3 (in approximation) damage was estimated at somewhere near $2,000los daños se calcularon en cerca de 2.000 dólaresI'd say he's nearer 70 than 60yo diría que está más cerca de los 70 que de los 60the carpet is nearer orange than yellowla alfombra es más bien naranja que amarillano one comes near her in staminalos deja a todos muy atrás en resistencia
- acercarse awe are nearing our destinationnos estamos acercando a nuestro destinohe must be nearing his 80th birthdaydebe faltarle poco para cumplir los 80the project is nearing completionfalta poco para terminar el proyectoExample sentences
- It was nearing lunchtime when they finally arrived at the palace gates.
- Ali is first seen in Lawrence as a tiny dot on a desert horizon that shimmers in the heat; he gradually becomes more distinct as he nears the camera.
- As this century nears the end, we know that our priorities aren't quite right.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.