Translation of near in Spanish:
adjective -er, -est
- 1 1.1 (in position) several of the nearer constellationsthe nearest storevarias de las constelaciones más cercanas or próximasthese binoculars make everything look very nearla tienda más cercanacon estos prismáticos parece que todo está muy cercaExample sentences1.2 (in time)
Example sentences1.3 (in approximation) the two shades were very near
- Once over the top the survivors had a clear view of the building in the near distance.
- Gardens and trees could be seen along the railway and highway, in contrast to the vast desert in the near distance.
- From his map, he knows there is an oasis somewhere in the near distance.
that's the nearest thing to an apology you can expect from himlos dos tonos eran muy parecidos1.4 (closely related)eso es lo más parecido a una disculpa que se puede esperar de él(relative)Example sentences
- However, he insisted the EGM would be going ahead in the near future.
- We are going ahead with that and there will be reserves in the near future.
- Rudin says that a meeting with the judge who controls space allocation in Old City Hall is expected in the near future.
- A near relative is the larger and better-known Chinese water chestnut.
- Other fossil animals may be assignable to the Vetulicolia or their near relatives.
- Many a times, even the near relatives do not reveal the information about the boy's family.
- 3 (virtual) (before noun) there was near panic when the alarms soundedin a state of near exhaustioncasi se produjo el pánico cuando sonaron las alarmasprácticamente en estado de agotamientoExample sentences
- Despite my near despair, I was in my usual seat yesterday afternoon.
- A bullock cart, the cause of the near disaster, materialized from the flurry.
- Durrant leaned in close to his newest acquaintance and spoke in a near whisper.
adverb -er, -est
- 1 1.1 (in position) I go home for lunch as I live quite nearI've got a cold, so don't come any nearervoy a almorzar a casa porque vivo muy cercadon't go any nearer to the edgeestoy resfriado, así que no te (me) acerquesfrom near and farno te acerques más al borde1.2 (in time) See examples: your birthday's getting near nowde todas parteswe're getting near to Christmasse acerca tu cumpleañoswe'll have another rehearsal nearer to the actual dayya falta poco para Navidad1.3 (in approximation) See examples: it's not exactly the same, but it comes pretty nearharemos otro ensayo cuando estemos más cerca de la fechaher work is very near to perfectno es exactamente igual pero se le parece mucho or [colloquial] le anda cercathe total will be nearer to $1,000 than $500su trabajo es casi perfectothis is the nearest to what you wantel total va a estar más cerca de 1.000 que de 500 dólares1.4 (on the verge of)nearesto es lo más parecido a lo que tú quieres
tosomething/ -ingshe was near to tearsmanagement and unions are near to an agreementestaba al borde de las lágrimas or a punto de echarse a llorarI came very near to hitting himla empresa y los sindicatos están a punto de llegar a un acuerdoestuve a punto de pegarlepor poco le pegoExample sentences
- I near shrieked as he fell to the floor, a perfect, coin shaped hole, dotted between his eyebrows.
- We damn near won against the most corrupt and well-oiled slime machine in history.
- I damn near laughed at the pathetic expression on his face as he holds up his decapitated hand!
- Cars from near and far converged in the night to watch the mountains glow red.
- He scares away anyone who comes near and then feels sorry for himself when he realizes he is alone.
- After he moved in he didn't know if he would be able to sleep with her so near and not hold her in his arms.
- 2 (nearly) are you anywhere near finished? [colloquial]that's nowhere near enough [colloquial]¿ya estás por terminar?¿te falta poco para terminar?are you ready? — nowhere near! [colloquial]con eso no alcanza, ni mucho menosit'll cost $1,000, near enough [colloquial]¿estás listo? — ¡ni soñar! or (in River Plate area also) ¡ni miras!it's near enough complete now [colloquial]costará 1.000 dólares, o por ahí [colloquial]ya está casi or prácticamente terminado
preposition -er, -est
- 1.1 (in position) I live near the stationthe room nearest the entrancevivo cerca de la estacióndon't go too near the firela habitación que está más cerca de la entradais there a pay phone near here?no te acerques demasiado al fuegoshe won't let anyone near the kitchen¿hay algún teléfono público por aquí cerca or cerca de aquí?1.2 (in time) See examples: we're getting very near Christmasno quiere que nadie se meta en la cocinawe'll discuss it again nearer the timefalta muy poco para Navidadthe Monday nearest New Year's Daylo discutiremos de nuevo más cerca de la fecha1.3 (in approximation) See examples: damage was estimated at somewhere near $2,000el lunes más próximo al día de Año NuevoI'd say he's nearer 70 than 60los daños se calcularon en cerca de 2.000 dólaresthe carpet is nearer orange than yellowyo diría que está más cerca de los 70 que de los 60no one comes near her in staminala alfombra es más bien naranja que amarilla1.4 (on the verge of) See examples: to be/come near something/los deja a todos muy atrás en resistencia
-ingthe project is now near completionwe are no nearer an agreementel proyecto está a punto de acabarseI came very near giving upseguimos sin llegar a un acuerdoestuve a punto de desistir
- we are nearing our destinationacercarse ahe must be nearing his 80th birthdaynos estamos acercando a nuestro destinothe project is nearing completiondebe faltarle poco para cumplir los 80falta poco para terminar el proyectoExample sentences
- It was nearing lunchtime when they finally arrived at the palace gates.
- Ali is first seen in Lawrence as a tiny dot on a desert horizon that shimmers in the heat; he gradually becomes more distinct as he nears the camera.
- As this century nears the end, we know that our priorities aren't quite right.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.