Translation of oblige in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 (require, compel) to oblige sb to +
infinitive/infinitivoobligar* a algn a+ infinitive/infinitivothe delay obliged us to cancel the order el retraso nos obligó a cancelar el pedidoto be obliged to + infinitive/infinitivoyou're not obliged to attend no estás obligado a asistir, no tienes obligación de asistir I was obliged to leave early me vi obligado a irme temprano I felt obliged to stay a bit longer me sentí obligado a quedarme un ratito másExample sentences
- This September, I am legally obliged to renew my driver's licence.
- His hands were completely tied on this one, and those who now criticise him for doing what he was legally obliged to do are being unfair in the extreme to him.
- ‘I was brought up thinking work is something you are morally obliged to do,’ as one older man put it.
- 2 (do favor for) he was always ready to oblige a friend estaba siempre dispuesto a hacerle un favor a un amigo you would oblige me by leaving me alone me haría un favor si me dejara en paz she obliged the guests with a song complació a los invitados cantando una canción much obliged! muchas gracias, le agradezco mucho I'd be much obliged if you could help me le quedaría muy agradecido si pudiera ayudarme we are greatly obliged to you for your help le estamos muy agradecidos por su ayuda
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Radio broadcasting in Spain began in the 1920s. The state-run Radio Nacional de España (RNE) was established during the Civil War. There are many private radio stations and they compete fiercely. Radio personalities are paid huge salaries, out of which they employ the staff for their programs.