- 1 uncountable/no numerable 1.1 (petroleum) petróleo (masculine) to strike oil [colloquial/familiar] dar* con una mina de oro or con la gallina de los huevos de oro [colloquial/familiar] (lit: reach oil) encontrar* petróleo the oil industry la industria petrolera oil pollution contaminación (feminine) petrolífera or de petróleoMore example sentences1.2 (lubricant) aceite (masculine) to change/check the oil cambiar/revisar el (nivel del) aceite to pour oil on troubled waters tratar de apaciguar los ánimos (before noun/delante del nombre) oil change cambio (masculine) de aceite oil filter filtro (masculine) del aceite oil level nivel (masculine) del aceite oil pressure presión (masculine) del aceite
More example sentences1.3
- If the railroad supervisor was negligent in overseeing the independent contractor who accidentally spilled oil into a river, whatever harm resulted should have been addressed in a civil proceeding.
- On the way home, their plane flies above a ship spilling oil into the sea.
- It is unusual to drill an oil well without a paleontologist onsite to determine when the desired oil-bearing rock layer has been reached.
(fuel oil)fuel-oil (masculine), gasoil (masculine) 1.4 (for domestic heating) gasóleo (masculine) or gasoil (masculine) de calefacción, fuel(-oil) (masculine) doméstico 1.5 (for domestic lamps, stoves) queroseno (masculine), kerosene (masculine), parafina (feminine) (Latin America/América Latina) to burn the midnight oil quemarse las cejas
- One of the most significant is carbon dioxide, a by-product of burning fossil fuels such as oil, petrol and coal.
- The Defenders will also be running on a mix of more combustible aviation fuel and oil to help lubricate the engine.
- The ban on smokey coal is proving beneficial, but the country is largely dependant on fuels such as oil and coal which increase greenhouse gases.
- 2 u and c 2.1 [Cookery/Cocina] aceite (masculine) (before noun/delante del nombre) oil and vinegar dressing vinagreta (feminine) 2.2 (essence) esencia (feminine)More example sentences
- The last group includes energy food, including animal and plant oil, starch and wine.
- Three bottles of high quality essential oils infused into pure, skin-softening organic apricot kernel oil.
- Biodiesel is an alternative fuel that can be made out of anything from organic canola oil to used cooking grease from fast-food restaurants.
- 3 3.1 countable/numerable (painting) óleo (masculine) a collection of oils una colección de óleos 3.2(oils plural)(paints) he paints in oils pinta al óleo a portrait in oils un retrato al óleo see also oil paintingMore example sentences
- These oils on canvas rework that fulcrum of modernist painting, the grid.
- This remarkably representative exhibits of 42 oils and gouaches from that later period suggest why.
- The company deals in originals, oils, acrylics, watercolors and serigraphs.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Central America and Mexico, the word 'botana' means a small portion of food, olives, peanuts etc, usually served with a drink at parties, bars, or social occasions.