Translation of oil in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable/no numerable 1.1 (petroleum) petróleo (masculine) to strike oil [colloquial/familiar] dar* con una mina de oro or con la gallina de los huevos de oro [colloquial/familiar] (lit: reach oil) encontrar* petróleo the oil industry la industria petrolera oil pollution contaminación (feminine) petrolífera or de petróleoExample sentences1.2 (lubricant) aceite (masculine) to change/check the oil cambiar/revisar el (nivel del) aceite to pour oil on troubled waters tratar de apaciguar los ánimos (before noun/delante del nombre) oil change cambio (masculine) de aceite oil filter filtro (masculine) del aceite oil level nivel (masculine) del aceite oil pressure presión (masculine) del aceite
- If the railroad supervisor was negligent in overseeing the independent contractor who accidentally spilled oil into a river, whatever harm resulted should have been addressed in a civil proceeding.
- On the way home, their plane flies above a ship spilling oil into the sea.
- It is unusual to drill an oil well without a paleontologist onsite to determine when the desired oil-bearing rock layer has been reached.
(fuel oil)fuel-oil (masculine), gasoil (masculine) 1.4 (for domestic heating) gasóleo (masculine) or gasoil (masculine) de calefacción, fuel(-oil) (masculine) doméstico 1.5 (for domestic lamps, stoves) queroseno (masculine), kerosene (masculine), parafina (feminine) (Latin America/América Latina) to burn the midnight oil quemarse las cejas
- In general, expect to change your mower's engine oil twice each year.
- Transportation via internal combustion engines that use gas and oil is responsible for more than 17 percent of the greenhouse gas emissions on the planet.
- To check the oil, you remove the dipstick, wipe off the oil, and reinsert the dipstick as far as it will go.
- 2 u and c 2.1 [Cookery/Cocina] aceite (masculine) (before noun/delante del nombre) oil and vinegar dressing vinagreta (feminine) 2.2 (essence) esencia (feminine)Example sentences
- The last group includes energy food, including animal and plant oil, starch and wine.
- Three bottles of high quality essential oils infused into pure, skin-softening organic apricot kernel oil.
- Biodiesel is an alternative fuel that can be made out of anything from organic canola oil to used cooking grease from fast-food restaurants.
- 3 3.1 countable/numerable (painting) óleo (masculine) a collection of oils una colección de óleos 3.2(oils plural)(paints) he paints in oils pinta al óleo a portrait in oils un retrato al óleo see also oil paintingExample sentences
- These oils on canvas rework that fulcrum of modernist painting, the grid.
- This remarkably representative exhibits of 42 oils and gouaches from that later period suggest why.
- The company deals in originals, oils, acrylics, watercolors and serigraphs.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to