Translation of old in Spanish:
- 1 (of certain age) See examples: how old are you?he's 10 years old¿qué edad tienes?she's two years older than metiene 10 añosmy older brotheres dos años mayor que yoour oldest sonmi hermano mayorwhen the children are oldernuestro hijo mayorday-/week-old chickscuando los niños sean mayores or más grandesa month-old puppypollitos (masculine plural) de un día/de una semanathe house is centuries oldun cachorro de un mesmy two-year-old daughterla casa tiene siglosa group of fifteen-year-/six-year-oldsmi hija de dos añosshe's not old enough to go to schoolun grupo de quinceañeros/de niños de seis añosyou're old enough to know better!no tiene edad de ir a la escuelahe's old enough to be her father¡a tu edad …!you're as old as you feelpodría ser su padrelo importante es tener el espíritu joven
- 2 (not young)(less polite)the bar's always full of old menher experiences had made her old beyond her yearsel bar siempre está lleno de viejosold people feel the cold moresus experiencias la habían hecho madurar muy rápidamenteto get o grow old/older doesn't she look old!los ancianos or las personas mayores or de edad sienten más el fríowhen I'm old¡qué vieja or avejentada está!cuando sea viejaExample sentences
- The majority of those left behind are too young, old or sick to travel far.
- The setting for the film is a beautiful temple on a secluded lake where an old monk and his young charge live.
- Now we want all residents, young and old, to select a project in their neighbourhood and make a local improvement.
- 3 3.1 (not new)(clothes/car/remedy)(city/civilization)a fine old winea beautiful old tableun buen vino añejoit's a very old familyuna mesa antigua preciosathe old part of the cityes una familia de abolengowe like to keep to the old waysel casco viejo or antiguo de la ciudadthe old countrynos gusta hacer las cosas a la antigua usanza3.2 (longstanding, familiar) (before noun)la madre patria(friend/enemy/rivalry)(injury/problem)it's the old, old story 3.3 (experienced, veteran) (before noun)Example sentences
- How many times do we need to see the same old arguments made and the same sources quoted?
- These aren't the same old depressing allegations, no, this time the allegations are red hot!
- You can resolve the same old problem with a new approach and make a breakthrough.
- It's built out of an old palace which has some of the most beautiful Buddhist art I've ever seen.
- The new gravel road has been built parallel to the old tarmac Gun Park Road
- Hidden in a narrow alley of the old quarter of Nice, one discovered it by chance or word-of-mouth.
- 4 (former, previous) (before noun)(job/classmate)my old schoolmi antiguo colegioExample sentences
- I got to know a little bit about it, at least the old Berlin of the past, through Benjamin's eyes.
- One of its campaigns is an attack on asylum seekers, which recycles a old leaflet used in past BNP campaigns.
- Today's feelings were sparked by me walking past my old primary school yesterday for the first time in ages.
- 6 [colloquial] (before noun) 6.1 (as intensifier) just wear any old thingcome and see me any old timeponte cualquier cosashe dresses just any old way o (in British English also) any old howven a verme cuando quieraswe had a pretty dull old timese viste de cualquier manerathis book is a load of old rubbishnos aburrimos mortalmente [colloquial]6.2 (in familiar references) See examples: old Bob here will show you where to goeste libro es una porquería [colloquial]good old John!el bueno de Bob te dirá dónde tienes que irhello, old thing (British English) lucky old you! don't forget little old me!¡este John …!she's not a bad old soul¡no te olvides del pobrecito de mí!no es mala gente [colloquial]Example sentences
- I really fancy my guests having a right good old toast to my memory.
- Get rid of the new-labour new-tory dictatorships and let's have good old democracy back again!
- So, for this event, I cooked from just regular vegetables and good old ingredients.
- 1 (old people) (+ plural verb) the oldlos ancianoslas personas mayores or de edad(less polite)a singer who is popular with young and oldun cantante que gusta a chicos y grandes
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In some Andean countries, particularly Chile, onces is a light meal eaten between five and six p.m., the equivalent of "afternoon tea" in Britain. In Colombia, on the other hand, onces is a light snack eaten between breakfast and lunch. It is also known as mediasnueves.