- 1 [machine/mechanism] funcionar it operates by electricity funciona con or a electricidadMore example sentences
- If the dissolution process has operated efficiently through time, then extensive caves will be found in a limestone massif.
- To make sure your system operates efficiently, examine it frequently, checking for leaks, clogs, or misdirected sprinklers or drip-emitters.
- While this system operates efficiently when only a single pair of achiasmate chromosomes is present, multiple pairs of large chromosomes cannot be distinguished.
- 2 2.1 (act) [drug/sedative] actuar*, surtir efecto; [factor] intervenir*, actuar* the law operates to our advantage la ley nos favorece various trends are operating against/in favor of integration varias tendencias obran en contra de/a favor de la integración 2.2 (be applicable) [rules/laws] regir* a Sunday service will operate on New Year's Day [Transport/Transporte] el día de Año Nuevo habrá un servicio dominicalMore example sentences
- In his book Pity the Nation, British journalist Robert Fisk explains in some detail the way the land laws operated and to what effect.
- My answer is that certainly it is necessary that such laws operate in order for effects brought about directly by the agent to have ulterior consequences.
- The law of cause and effect operates only in the realm of nature (the empirical realm).
- 3 3.1 (pursue one's business) [company/airline] operar we operate all over the country operamos en todo el país we operate out of our own house trabajamos or operamos desde nuestro domicilio how can I operate under these conditions? ¿cómo puedo trabajar en estas condiciones? he operates from a base in Montevideo tiene su base de operaciones en Montevideo we have to operate within the laws of the country tenemos que actuar or obrar de acuerdo a las leyes del país a gang of thieves is operating in the area una banda de ladrones opera en la zona 3.2 [fleet/regiment/division] operarMore example sentences
More example sentences
- However, there are strong divisions between these groups, even within organizations operating together.
- HR flow policies can be strongly influenced by the national cultural assumptions within which the organization operates.
- In reality it is unusual to see this method, primarily due to the complexity involved in calculation and the unstable environment within which most organizations operate.
More example sentences
- Modern technology and design assist in urban control while complicating the terrain in which a military force might operate.
- They also don't have the easy target that Cornwallis gave them at Yorktown, though there is a small British force operating in the area.
- My job was to document the war efforts of U.S. military forces operating out of Thailand.
- At that time, Pegasus stated its commitment to working with current management and operating the bicycle business as a going concern.
- At least that's how managers try to operate such businesses.
- IT manages the information that's needed to operate a business.
- 4 [Medicine/Medicina] operar, intervenir* [formal] to operate
onsb ( forsth) operar aalgn ( dealgo) they operated on her, she was operated on la operaron, fue intervenida [formal], fue sometida a una intervención quirúrgica [formal] his daughter was operated on for appendicitis operaron a su hija de apendicitis, su hija fue operada de apendicitisMore example sentences
- Concerns about the standard of care were further highlighted by the fact that the surgeon who eventually operated on the man was given the wrong endoscope, which in any case wasn't working.
- My experience of the NHS, from the superb and knighted surgeon who operated on me to the Indian tea lady with her endless cups, was one of kindness, courtesy and concern.
- The surgeons who operated on him thought he might never walk again.
- 1 [machine] manejar, operar; [controls] manejar, accionarMore example sentences
- A person operating our control system could take it in stride.
- He also believes that the people operating machines or carrying out processes are usually those who know best how to get the optimum performance from them.
- It was a big room with huge glasses, through which I could see three persons operating the monitoring system and watching the dashboard.
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Cultural fact of the day
The Lotería Nacional is a Spanish state-run lottery founded in 1812. There is an