- 1 (cushioning) shoulder padshombreras (feminine plural)knee padsrodilleras (feminine plural)shin padsespinilleras (feminine plural)thigh pads
canilleras (feminine plural)musleras (feminine plural)Example sentences
- The basic material in both pads is soft and springy.
- If the person is bleeding, cover the wound with a gauze pad or a thick, clean piece of cloth and press on the wound hard enough to stop the bleeding.
- First, the normal saline and sterile gauze pads needed for the dressings usually are inexpensive and readily accessible in health care facilities.
- 2 (of paper)Example sentences
- So she gently ripped out a sheet of graph paper from her drawing pad and started drawing again.
- Each was bound along the left ledge with the kind of rubbery glue used to bind a pad of writing paper and featured jokes and an occasional smidgen of story.
- Then I sit down at my desk and stare at a blank pad of paper until I can get myself going.
- 3 [slang] [dated] 3.1 (house, apartment)bulín (masculine) (River Plate area) [colloquial]Example sentences3.2 (bed) (American English)
catre (masculine) [colloquial]
- Stately homes, luxury country pads, five-star hotels and even budget youth hostels are lining up to provide race fans accommodation.
- However it is ideal as a bachelor pad or as a starter home.
- In Knutsford, which is more renowned for its millionaire pads than cheap starter homes, some estate agents say that they haven't sold to a first-time buyer for over six months.
transitive verb -dd-
- 1 1.1 (line) to pad a carpet (American English)colocarle fieltro por debajo a una alfombraExample sentences
- Tables are decked out with blue covers, and the seats are also padded and covered.
- The clamping parts are well padded to protect the gun.
- The chair and sofa were thickly padded, covered with real Ahlbetera leather, the furniture made of real wood.
also: padded past participle(envelope)
- All I need to do is get some clip-art to pad it out, and re-write some pages.
- So, how can I pad this out a bit and make it interesting?
- In order to pad the movie out to a reasonable length (rather than having it end after 70 minutes), a middle act has been added that was not in any of the previous incarnations.
acolchado(bra)a coat with padded shoulders
con rellenoun abrigo con hombreraspadded cellcelda (feminine) de aislamiento
- 2 (expand)(essay/film/speech)
meter paja en [colloquial]Example sentences
- To hide the bills from her family, she embezzled US $241,061 from the company over three years by padding her expense account, authorities said.
- The city claims that Carvin showed poor judgment and overstepped his authority in raising issues of attorney bill padding.
- But don't add customers just for the sake of padding the client list and the sales figures - as numerous models demonstrate, cash flow is king.
intransitive verb -dd-
- he padded into the roomentró en la habitación sin hacer ruidoExample sentences
- Walter chuckled and continued to walk, and Edie padded along with him, wide-eyed in amazement.
- She walked that way too, her feet making no sound as they padded along the hardwood floor.
- I padded along the corridor and put my head round the door.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.