Translation of penalty in Spanish:
noun plural -ties
- 1 1.1 (punishment)(fine)the penalty for disobedience is deathon penalty of death o of their livesla desobediencia está penada con la muerteto pay the penaltybajo or so pena de muertethe doctor paid the full penalty for his negligencepagar las consecuenciaspenalty for improper use: $50el médico pagó cara su negligencia(before noun) penalty clausemulta por uso indebido: $50penalty interestcláusula (feminine) penal or punitivainterés (masculine) penal or de recargoExample sentences1.2 (disadvantage) See examples: one of the penalties of fame
parte del precio que hay que pagar por ser famoso
- Even if he does, the maximum penalty for breaking the rules is a fine of $2,000 per violation.
- Causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs carries maximum penalties of ten years in prison, an unlimited fine and a minimum two-year driving ban.
- The charges carry a maximum penalty of five life sentences.
- 2 2.1 (Games)you have to pay a penaltywe were given a five-point penalty for the wrong answerhay que pagar una prenda(before noun) penalty pointperdimos or nos restaron cinco puntos por contestar mal2.2 (Sport) (in rugby)punto (masculine) en contra(in US football)penalty (kick) (in soccer) to take a penaltycobrar un penalty ( or penalti etc)Example sentences
- A breach of the rule will result in the opponents being awarded a penalty corner.
- The visitors were awarded a penalty, which they kicked into the corner.
- Three of their tries came from line-outs following penalties kicked into the corner and two more following forward drives.
- Kimi's third place reflects his poor starting position resulting from a penalty he suffered following an engine change on Saturday.
- But he admits they are now paying the penalty for running with a small squad.
- This ultimately destroys the very reason for Jesus' redemptive work on the Cross - paying the penalty of death for our sin.
- If they win one trick each, or only one or zero tricks in total, both defenders pay the penalty.
- Playing is a commitment to win at least one trick, and there is a penalty for failing to do so.
- Next, if declarer has taken fewer than 6 tricks he pays a penalty of 20 units to the pot.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In Spain, a geographical, social, and culturally homogeneous region, with a clear natural or administrative demarcation is called a comarca. Comarcas are normally smaller than