Translation of penalty in Spanish:
noun plural penalties
- 1 1.1 (punishment)(fine) multa (feminine)the penalty for disobedience is deathla desobediencia está penada con la muerteon penalty of death o of their livesbajo or so pena de muerteto pay the penaltypagar las consecuenciasthe doctor paid the full penalty for his negligenceel médico pagó cara su negligenciapenalty for improper use: $50multa por uso indebido: $50(before noun) penalty clausecláusula (feminine) penal or punitivapenalty interestinterés (masculine) penal or de recargoExample sentences1.2 (disadvantage) one of the penalties of fame
parte del precio que hay que pagar por ser famoso
- Even if he does, the maximum penalty for breaking the rules is a fine of $2,000 per violation.
- Causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs carries maximum penalties of ten years in prison, an unlimited fine and a minimum two-year driving ban.
- The charges carry a maximum penalty of five life sentences.
- 2 2.1 (Games)you have to pay a penaltyhay que pagar una prendawe were given a five-point penalty for the wrong answerperdimos or nos restaron cinco puntos por contestar mal(before noun) penalty pointpunto (masculine) en contraExample sentences2.2 (Sport) (in rugby)
(in US football) castigo (masculine)penalty (kick) (in soccer) to take a penaltycobrar un penalty ( or penalti etc)Example sentences
- If they win one trick each, or only one or zero tricks in total, both defenders pay the penalty.
- Playing is a commitment to win at least one trick, and there is a penalty for failing to do so.
- Next, if declarer has taken fewer than 6 tricks he pays a penalty of 20 units to the pot.
- A breach of the rule will result in the opponents being awarded a penalty corner.
- The visitors were awarded a penalty, which they kicked into the corner.
- Three of their tries came from line-outs following penalties kicked into the corner and two more following forward drives.
- Kimi's third place reflects his poor starting position resulting from a penalty he suffered following an engine change on Saturday.
- But he admits they are now paying the penalty for running with a small squad.
- This ultimately destroys the very reason for Jesus' redemptive work on the Cross - paying the penalty of death for our sin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.