noun/nombre (plural -ties)
- 1 1.1 (punishment) pena (feminine), castigo (masculine); (fine) multa (feminine) the penalty for disobedience is death la desobediencia está penada con la muerte on penalty of death o of their lives bajo or so pena de muerte to pay the penalty pagar* las consecuencias the doctor paid the full penalty for his negligence el médico pagó cara su negligencia penalty for improper use: $50 multa por uso indebido: $50 (before noun/delante del nombre) penalty clause cláusula (feminine) penal or punitiva penalty interest interés (masculine) penal or de recargoMore example sentences1.2 (disadvantage) one of the penalties of fame parte del precio que hay que pagar por ser famoso
- Even if he does, the maximum penalty for breaking the rules is a fine of $2,000 per violation.
- Causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs carries maximum penalties of ten years in prison, an unlimited fine and a minimum two-year driving ban.
- The charges carry a maximum penalty of five life sentences.
- 2 2.1 [Games/Juegos] you have to pay a penalty hay que pagar una prenda we were given a five-point penalty for the wrong answer perdimos or nos restaron cinco puntos por contestar mal (before noun/delante del nombre) penalty point punto (masculine) en contra 2.2 [Sport/Deporte] (in rugby) penalty (masculine), golpe (masculine) de castigo; (in US football) castigo (masculine) penalty (kick) (in soccer) penalty (masculine), penalti (masculine), penal (masculine) (Latin America/América Latina) , pénal (masculine) (Andes) to take a penalty cobrar un penalty ( or penalti etc)More example sentences
More example sentences
- A breach of the rule will result in the opponents being awarded a penalty corner.
- The visitors were awarded a penalty, which they kicked into the corner.
- Three of their tries came from line-outs following penalties kicked into the corner and two more following forward drives.
More example sentences
- Kimi's third place reflects his poor starting position resulting from a penalty he suffered following an engine change on Saturday.
- But he admits they are now paying the penalty for running with a small squad.
- This ultimately destroys the very reason for Jesus' redemptive work on the Cross - paying the penalty of death for our sin.
- If they win one trick each, or only one or zero tricks in total, both defenders pay the penalty.
- Playing is a commitment to win at least one trick, and there is a penalty for failing to do so.
- Next, if declarer has taken fewer than 6 tricks he pays a penalty of 20 units to the pot.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Did you know that the primary meaning of almuerzo is lunch? It is used only in this sense in most of Latin America. In Spain and Mexico, where comida is the usual word for lunch, almuerzo can also be a mid-morning snack.