Translation of penalty in Spanish:
noun/nombre (plural -ties)
- 1 1.1 (punishment) pena (feminine), castigo (masculine); (fine) multa (feminine) the penalty for disobedience is death la desobediencia está penada con la muerte on penalty of death o of their lives bajo or so pena de muerte to pay the penalty pagar* las consecuencias the doctor paid the full penalty for his negligence el médico pagó cara su negligencia penalty for improper use: $50 multa por uso indebido: $50 (before noun/delante del nombre) penalty clause cláusula (feminine) penal or punitiva penalty interest interés (masculine) penal or de recargoExample sentences1.2 (disadvantage) one of the penalties of fame parte del precio que hay que pagar por ser famoso
- Even if he does, the maximum penalty for breaking the rules is a fine of $2,000 per violation.
- Causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs carries maximum penalties of ten years in prison, an unlimited fine and a minimum two-year driving ban.
- The charges carry a maximum penalty of five life sentences.
- 2 2.1 [Games/Juegos] you have to pay a penalty hay que pagar una prenda we were given a five-point penalty for the wrong answer perdimos or nos restaron cinco puntos por contestar mal (before noun/delante del nombre) penalty point punto (masculine) en contra 2.2 [Sport/Deporte] (in rugby) penalty (masculine), golpe (masculine) de castigo; (in US football) castigo (masculine) penalty (kick) (in soccer) penalty (masculine), penalti (masculine), penal (masculine) (Latin America/América Latina) , pénal (masculine) (Andes) to take a penalty cobrar un penalty ( or penalti etc)Example sentences
- A breach of the rule will result in the opponents being awarded a penalty corner.
- The visitors were awarded a penalty, which they kicked into the corner.
- Three of their tries came from line-outs following penalties kicked into the corner and two more following forward drives.
- Kimi's third place reflects his poor starting position resulting from a penalty he suffered following an engine change on Saturday.
- But he admits they are now paying the penalty for running with a small squad.
- This ultimately destroys the very reason for Jesus' redemptive work on the Cross - paying the penalty of death for our sin.
- If they win one trick each, or only one or zero tricks in total, both defenders pay the penalty.
- Playing is a commitment to win at least one trick, and there is a penalty for failing to do so.
- Next, if declarer has taken fewer than 6 tricks he pays a penalty of 20 units to the pot.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Defensor del pueblo is an ombudsman nominated by the Spanish Parliament to defend the rights of citizens against government maladministration. If he upholds a complaint he advises the administration on appropriate compensation. This post, under the same name, also exists in some Latin American countries.