noun plural pike
- (Zoology)Example sentences
- Being the main apex predator found in freshwaters, pike are not as common as other fish.
- There are herring and cod in the outer archipelago, but within casting range of land the fish are mostly fresh-water - perch, bream, pike, and zander.
- Paul contacted the Environment Agency and Yorkshire Water, which are now investigating the cause of the deaths of a number of fish including pike, eels and roach.
- The long-nosed garpike is common everywhere in shallow water.
- The department may designate certain waters in which a rubber or spring propelled spear may be used for the taking of carp, dogfish, garpike, and suckers.
- It can save you lots of time reeling in grass pike, and a pocket full of money on lost baits, if you invest in a couple weed less baits for your tackle box.
- (weapon) (History)Example sentences
- Vast quantities of clothing, gunpowder, pikes, halberds, swords, and muskets poured out of the workshops of the metropolis.
- The invention and proliferation of the ring bayonet in the 1690s led to the disappearance of the pike as a standard infantry weapon.
- Dixira stopped abruptly, his nose inches from the wooden shafts of the pikes.
- also: turnpike(American English)to come down the pike [colloquial]acercarseExample sentences
- The National Road becomes known as the National Pike, as some of the states erect toll houses to collect fees from those using the Pike.
- Maryland's Baltimore to Cumberland section of the Historic National Road was designated the Historic National Pike.
- Towns and cities along the pike began to spring up to provide comforts for weary travelers heading west. Modern travelers of the Historic National Pike will find communities proud of their vibrant heritage.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.