Translation of pipe in Spanish:
- 1 (for liquids, gases)Example sentences
- Roads, bridges, utility lines, water and sewer pipes, and other supporting services have to be rebuilt.
- Modern roads have a maze of water and sewer pipes running beneath them.
- We are constantly upgrading drain and water supply pipes.
- 2 (for tobacco) I smoke a pipefumo en pipathe pipe of peace, the peace pipela pipa de la pazput that in your pipe and smoke it! [colloquial]¡chúpate esa! [colloquial](before noun) pipe bowl pipe smoker pipe tobacco
¡toma del frasco, Carrasco! (Spain) [colloquial]Example sentences
- Household objects ranging from baskets to pipes for smoking tobacco are made out of bamboo.
- Cancer of the oral cavity is more common in people who chew tobacco or smoke pipes.
- Into his car I would eagerly climb, greeted by the familiar smell of cigars and pipe tobacco.
- 3 3.1 (wind instrument) the pipes of Panla flauta de Pan3.2 (of organ)Example sentences3.3
also: pipes pluralto play the pipestocar la gaita3.4 (boatswain's whistle)Example sentences
- On the earlier organs, the pipes for each note stood directly in front of its key on the keyboard.
- The enormous burnished pipes of the organ, lit from below, rose like architecture behind the musicians.
- It was resounding like an organ pipe, strongly enough to rattle windows.
- Shrill trilling vocalizations are thought to be similar to the sound of a boatswain's pipe.
- The boatswain's pipe is the 'modern day' descendant of the flutes used by the Ancient Greeks and Romans to convey orders to the oarsmen and galley slaves.
- The shrill of the pipe draws the attention.
- 1 (transport by pipe) (+ adverb complement)(water/gas/oil)
llevar (por tuberías, gasoducto, oleoducto)Example sentences
- The suggested quarry site falls short on both counts, as the available water is full of fine rock particles and piping the water would be an expensive operation.
- I used to cut softwood from shelterbelts on prairie farms but when natural gas was piped out to all farms in the area the demand disappeared.
- Fresh water was piped in from the lake behind the settlement and could be tapped into with relative ease, giving Mac the unlimited fresh water that had always been his dream.
- 2 (play) they were piped in to dinnerentraron al comedor al son de una gaitathe captain was piped aboardtocaron el silbato cuando el capitán subió a bordo
- 3 3.1 (Cookery)(cake)pipe the cream onto the cake
decorar (con manga de repostería)decorar el pastel con la crema usando una manga de repostería3.2 (Clothing) (usually passive) a red dress piped with whiteun vestido rojo ribeteado en blancoExample sentences
- I saw a cute little waistcoat in a Burda magazine, done in gingham fabric, piped all around the edges, and on the back was a placket done up with ties.
- Cover a school notebook with a sturdy denim cover piped with orange trim.
- This bag sports piped seams and hardware of nickel-plated solid brass for long life and good looks.
- Arrange the pasta squares on a flat work surface and pipe the ricotta filling across the bottom half of the squares.
- Lay the four crêpes on a surface and pipe the maple pastry cream into the center of each.
- Place three fishcakes on each plate and pipe a line of mayo down each side.
- [colloquial] (usually in imperative)
- [colloquial]her friend piped up and said she knew too
callarse la boca [colloquial]pipe down!
¡cállate la boca! [colloquial]
¡cierra el pico! [colloquial]
¡cierra el pico! [colloquial]
su amiga saltó con que ella también lo sabía [colloquial]he always pipes up with some stupid comment
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.