- 1 1.1 c (spot, position, area) lugar (m), sitio (m) the best place for that is … el lugar or el sitio más indicado para eso es … we've come to the wrong place nos hemos equivocado de lugar or de sitio do you think this is the right place? ¿te parece que es aquí? she was in the right place at the right time and got the job tuvo la suerte de estar allí en el momento oportuno y le dieron el trabajo this is the place where I left it fue aquí donde lo dejé do you have a place to stay? ¿tienes donde quedarte? the road is poor in places algunos tramos or algunas partes de la carretera están en mal estado what a stupid place to leave the money! ¡a quién se le ocurre dejar el dinero allí! I can't be in two places at once no puedo estar en dos sitios or en dos partes al mismo tiempo there's no place like home no hay nada como estar en casa all over the place por todas partes, por todos lados I've looked all over the place he buscado por todas partes or por todos lados her ideas are all over the place sus ideas son un desbarajuste or un caos total they were all over the place in the scherzo en el scherzo cada uno iba por su lado 1.2 c (town, region, country) lugar (m), sitio (m) from place to place de un lugar or un sitio or un lado a otro to go places this boy will go places este chico va a llegar lejos a new rock group that's really going places un nuevo grupo de rock que viene pisando fuerte we like to go places, not just lie on the beach nos gusta visitar distintos lugares, no simplemente estar tumbados en la playaMore example sentences1.3 c (specific location) lugar (m) place of birth lugar de nacimiento place of worship lugar de culto 1.4 u (locality) lugar (m) time and place tiempo y lugar
- Foots Cray Place was the home of the one-time Chancellor of the Exchequer, Nicholas Vansittart, Lord Bexley.
- Grove Place was the home of John de la Grave in 1296.
- 2 c 2.1 (building, shop, restaurant etc) sitio (m), lugar (m) it's not the sort of place you'd take your maiden aunt no es el tipo de sitio or de lugar adonde uno llevaría a una tía solterona Bas Bleus is still the place in New Orleans Bas Bleus aún es el sitio de moda en Nueva Orleans the hotel was a depressing place el hotel era deprimente they've moved to a bigger place se han mudado a un local ( or a una casa) más grande there's a good hamburger/pizza place nearby hay una buena hamburguesería/pizzería cerca 2.2 (home) casa (f) this is a palace compared to my place comparado con mi casa, esto es un palacio we went back to Jim's place después fuimos a (la) casa de Jim or (AmL tb) fuimos donde Jim or (RPl) a lo de JimMore example sentences
- What we have now is a splendid modern building, a place of worship and a resource centre for the whole community.
- They applied for Planning permission to use the building as a place of worship and I went to the public meeting.
- There are huge pedestrian walk ways and squares with theatres, museums and places to eat and drink.
- 3 c 3.1 (correct, appropriate location) sitio (m), lugar (m) put them all back in their (proper) places ponlos todos en su sitio or lugar this is no place for a dog este no es un lugar apropiado para tener un perro there's a time and (a) place for everything todo a su debido tiempo y en su debido lugar a place for everything (and everything in its place) un lugar para cada cosa y cada cosa en su lugar to fall into place aclararse things were beginning to fall into place las cosas estaban empezando a aclararse 3.2 (in phrases) in place the window frames are in place ya han colocado los marcos de las ventanas when the new accounting system is in place cuando se haya implementado el nuevo sistema de contabilidad the new manager is not yet in place el nuevo director aún no ha entrado en funciones or no ha asumido el cargo to hold sth in place sujetar algo out of place despite the wind she arrived with not a hair out of place a pesar del viento llegó impecable modern furniture would look out of place in this room quedaría mal or no resultaría apropiado poner muebles modernos en esta habitación a small tip would not be out of place una pequeña propina no estaría fuera de lugar I felt very out of place there me sentí totalmente fuera de lugar allíMore example sentences
- In comes a calm, regionally balanced economy with the housing market in its proper place.
- The cold, round meal tray is impassively in front, with two bowls and two pairs of chopsticks placed in their proper places.
- Even if such indicators are present, they are not placed at the proper places.
- 4 c 4.1 (position, role) lugar (m) she's back in her rightful place as party leader vuelve a ocupar el lugar que le corresponde como líder del partido he will always have a special place in our hearts siempre ocupará un lugar especial en nuestros corazones your place is helping out on the farm tú donde debes estar es en la granja, ayudando what would you do in my place? ¿tú qué harías si estuvieras en mi lugar? if I were in your place yo en tu lugar, yo que tú put yourself in my place ponte en mi lugar it's not my place to interfere yo no soy quién para meterme I feel it is my place to advise you considero mi obligación aconsejarte the prince and his servant changed places el príncipe y el criado se cambiaron los papeles I wouldn't change places with her for anything no me cambiaría por ella por nada there is no place for authoritarianism in a democratic society en una sociedad democrática no cabe el autoritarismo nobody can ever take your place nadie podrá jamás ocupar tu lugar or reemplazarte a place in the sun una posición destacada to know one's place [dated or hum] saber* el lugar que le corresponde a uno I know my place, madam yo sé el lugar que me corresponde, señora to put sb in her/his place poner* a algn en su sitio, bajarle los humos a algn 4.2in place of (as prep) en lugar de Mike's coming in Arthur's place va a venir Mike en lugar de Arthur 4.3to take place (occur) [meeting/concert/wedding] tener* lugar the ceremony took place last Friday la ceremonia tuvo lugar el viernes pasado we don't know what took place that night no sabemos qué ocurrió or qué sucedió aquella nocheMore example sentences
- The surface had failed in places, and this had allowed grass and weeds to come through.
- A lot of heavy lorries use this road, and the surface is terrible in places.
- Even now, although this land is being developed in places in the village, there are still vast areas left undeveloped.
- 5 c 5.1 (seat) save me a place next to you guárdame un asiento or un sitio al lado del tuyo the conference hall has places for 500 people la sala de conferencias tiene capacidad or cabida para 500 personas change places with Jan cámbiale el asiento a Jan take your places, ladies and gentlemen ocupen sus asientos, señoras y señores 5.2 (at table) cubierto (m) to lay/set a place for sb poner* un cubierto para algn (before n) place cardtarjeta que indica el lugar que le corresponde a cada comensal en la mesaMore example sentences
- Forty places for cars are available in the underground car park under the supermarket.
- So they said they would tell me when a place became available for me to sit until a table became available.
- He had saved a place for him in the middle of the table and was guarding it diligently.
- 6 c 6.1 (in contest, league) puesto (m), lugar (m) he took first/second place obtuvo el primer/segundo puesto or lugar to hold one's place mantener* or conservar su ( or mi etc) posición to take second place pasar a un segundo plano your social life will have to take second place tu vida social va a tener que pasar a un segundo plano 6.2 (in horseracing)uno de los tres primeros puestos en las carreras de caballosMore example sentences
- He has an impressive National record, with two second places, a third and a fourth but has yet to capture the big prize itself.
- In qualifying we clinched the pole position, and in the race, second and third places.
- Pole position and a second place in the race made a great weekend for him and for the whole team.
- 7 c (in book, script, sequence) you've made me lose my place me has hecho perder la página ( or la línea etc) por donde iba the audience laughed in all the right places el público se rió cuando había que reírse
- 8 c 8.1 (job) puesto (m) we have places for 20 workers tenemos 20 puestos de trabajo or 20 vacantes to fill a place cubrir* una vacante to have friends in high places tener* amigos influyentes 8.2 (BrE) [Educ] plaza (f) a school/university place una plaza en un colegio/en la UniversidadMore example sentences8.3 (on team) puesto (m)
- She has been offered a place to study politics and modern history at Oxford.
- Around the time of my diagnosis I had also been offered a place to study for an MPhil in philosophy.
- Seven sixth form students from Bootham School in York have been offered places to study at Cambridge or Oxford universities.
- 9 (in argument) lugar (m) in the first/second place en primer/segundo lugar you shouldn't have been there in the first place! en primer lugar or para empezar tú no deberías haber estado allíMore example sentences
- All three have their important place in the law of torts, but the liability attached to them will differ.
- Does the independent press have an important place in literary life or is it little more than vanity publishing?
- I think flood irrigation is going to have an important place here for a long time.
- 10 c [Math] correct to three decimal places correcto hasta tres decimalesMore example sentences
- He dropped more than 50 Order of Merit places to 74th and managed only one top-ten finish.
- He used the image of a guest at a banquet who chooses the lowest place in order to be seen being elevated to a higher one.
- Inevitably, the victory earned him the order of merit title, swapping places with Bradley who had captured it last year.
- 11 c u (space, room) sitio (m), lugar (m) is there (a) place for one more suitcase? ¿hay sitio or lugar para otra maleta?, ¿cabe otra maleta? to give place to sth dar* paso a algoMore example sentences
More example sentences
- Residents say the area was once a peaceful place to live, but has been ruined by unruly youths.
- Most nodded approvingly, for this region has a big place in the hearts of many Azeris.
- Aberdeen, as a city and as a club, still have a big place in my heart.
- I'm still nursing my head after a heavy night at my place with dinner guests.
- Now he is staying with friends, until his place is habitable once again.
- It turned out the man had several places in the big city, which surprised her quite a bit.
- 1 (put, position) [object] poner*; (carefully, precisely) colocar*; [guards/sentries] poner*, apostar*, colocar* she placed the book in his hand le puso el libro en la mano I'm very badly placed here to see what is happening estoy en muy mal sitio or (AmL tb) estoy muy mal ubicado para ver lo que está pasando how are they placed as regards finance? ¿cuál es su situación a nivel financiero? I'm rather badly placed for time at present en este momento no dispongo de mucho tiempo this places them at a disadvantage esto los coloca en una situación de desventaja we were placed in an awkward position nos pusieron en una situación muy violenta this places you under an obligation esto te obliga or te compromete to place sb in custody poner* a algn bajo custodia he's been placed under observation lo tienen en observación she's been placed under house arrest está bajo arresto domiciliario to place one's confidence o trust in sb/sth depositar su ( or mi etc) confianza en algn/algo I don't place much faith in the medical profession no tengo mucha fe en los médicos he placed the blame on the lawyer in charge of the case responsabilizó or le echó la culpa al abogado que llevaba el caso her promotion placed a great strain on their relationship su ascenso provocó muchas tensiones en su relación he places a high value on originality concede gran importancia a la originalidad, valora mucho la originalidad I placed the matter in the hands of my lawyer puse el asunto en manos de mi abogado see also well-placedMore example sentences
- He was best placed to take advantage and went on to win from Charlie with McAlpin third.
- He, with his rugged good looks and background, was ideally placed to take advantage of this trend.
- He thinks that Britain is uniquely placed to exploit the advantages of its genetic diversity.
- 2 2.1 (in hierarchy, league, race) I wouldn't place money that high on the list of priorities para mí el dinero no ocupa un lugar tan prioritario national security should be placed above everything else la seguridad nacional debería ponerse por encima de todo this victory places her among the top three este triunfo la sitúa entre las tres primeras the team is currently placed fourth actualmente el equipo ocupa el cuarto puesto or lugar 2.2 (in horseracing) to be placed llegar* placé or colocado (en segundo o tercer lugar)
- 3 3.1 (find a home, job for) colocar* they placed her with a Boston firm la colocaron or le encontraron trabajo en una empresa de Boston 3.2 [advertisement] poner*; [phone call] pedir*; [goods/merchandise] colocar* [shares/money] [Fin] colocar* we placed an order with Acme Corp hicimos un pedido a Acme CorpMore example sentences
More example sentences
- Yesterday the memorial was roped off, and a wreath had been placed beside it.
- I crossed my legs and placed myself beside him on the bed, the mattress sinking a little under weight.
- The Queen gestured to a tray that had been placed beside the bed filled with all sorts of food.
More example sentences
- In effect, this means that if there is any difficulty in placing the shares, he and his associates will put up the money.
- "The controlling shareholder is placing the shares before the deal is completed, " he said.
- It also plans to raise €8 million by placing over 53 million shares, which he has committed to buy if no new investors emerge.
More example sentences
- This time at a lower register which is both more commanding and better suited to an auditory range ruined by years placing bets at the dog track at Concreton.
- If an offer, will CostPlus be in breach of contract in attempting to increase the price after Philip has placed an order?
- Check with the manufacturer for the exact amount when placing your order.
More example sentences
- A precedent has been set that thuggish bigots can dictate who plays in a football match by placing one threatening telephone call to the BBC.
- The Upper Arlington Fire Division placed a call for a NAS-T Fire Investigation response.
- Sometimes people living in the same city prefer to keep in touch with each other through e-mail or text-messaging rather then meeting in person or placing a phone call.
- The family made the decision not to contact police until she gave birth to a baby girl, who was immediately placed with foster parents.
- He was taken into care before being placed with foster parents.
- In the same vein, the entity charged with placing redundant workers into employment, has not improved.
- 4 4.1 (identify) [tune] identificar*, ubicar* (AmL) her face is familiar, but I can't quite place her su cara me resulta conocida pero no sé de dónde or (AmL tb) pero no la ubico 4.2 (locate, estimate) I would place the time of death at around eleven o'clock estimo que su muerte se produjo alrededor de las once that would place (the date of) his arrival in Venice much further back eso indicaría que su llegada a Venecia fue muy anteriorMore example sentences
- Listeners are invited to take part in an audio game in which they must identify and place the sounds they hear.
- His words that morning had placed him in her mind, and she prayed for his safety as the wall began to crumble.
- Still, I couldn't place her but even her clothing, a worn leather jacket and a red knit scarf, had a certain familiarity.
- 5 (direct carefully) [ball/shot] colocar*
- [Sport] to place fourth/ninth quedar* en cuarto/noveno lugar his horse didn't even place su caballo no llegó ni placé or colocadoMore example sentences
More example sentences
- He has won twenty-four of these races and has been placed between second and fourth in the others.
- He was also placed fourth in the individual race whilst she was third in the Year 8 girls' race.
- The two horses had been nicely placed throughout the race with the favourite Our Vic being led down by some poor jumping.
More example sentences
- He has won four of 13 starts, placing in seven other races, and has earned $190,190.
- A top-class swimmer and cross-country runner as a junior, she won the London Triathlon in 2001 and is now placing consistently well in World Cup events.
- Though her piece wasn't chosen as the cover, she said placing among the finalists inspired her to explore her talent.
- Both teams had great difficulty in scoring from play with nearly all the scores coming from placed balls.
- He sent in a large range goal from a placed ball in the fifth minute.
- He shot Tinryland's early second half score from a placed ball.