- (for ships) sea/inland portpuerto marítimo/fluvialto enter portllegar a or arribar a or tomar puertoto leave port port of callpuerto (masculine) de escalaour second port of call was the baker'snuestra segunda parada fue en la panaderíaport of entrypuerto (masculine) de entradaport of registrypuerto de matrículahe has a girl in every port [colloquial]tiene una novia en cada puertoany port in a stormcuando hay hambre no hay pan duro
en tiempos de guerra cualquier hoyo es trinchera(before noun) (authority/tax/regulation)
- Speaking of Umm Qasr, work continues on the upgrade of the port facilities.
- The special facilities, which could be drained to allow repairs on ships' hulls, have been closed and the heavy machinery dismantled and moved to Liverpool's port.
- Our call was in the nearby port facility of Puerto Cones, which served as a launching point for excursions to the nearby Mayan ruins.
- uncountable (Cookery)oporto (masculine)
vino (masculine) de OportoExample sentences
- In particular, I want to drive up the Douro valley from Porto to the vineyards where the grapes for port wine are grown, and I want to see more of the estuaries of the Galician coast.
- I wished for some kick in the red-chile steak butter I asked for with my bison filet, as a substitute for the advertised port wine sauce.
- Apart from the seasonal connotations that cinnamon, oranges, Stilton and mulled port wine have, I think Stilton might make an even tangier and more contrasting accompaniment to the sweet jelly.
- uncountable (left side) to porta baborExample sentences
- The lumbering shuttle lazily side slipped from port to starboard and back in futile attempts to shake off pursuit.
- Pressure and gravity refueling receptacles are installed in the aft port fuel cell.
- One of them noticed an object in the water outboard and to port of the wake, astern of the vessel.
- (turn to port)(ship)port the helm!
virar¡virar a babor!Example sentences
- The captain slowed and ported the vessel to pass around the monolith, and everyone took a good look at the horrid idol.
- Reaching the dock where my ship was being ported, Steve and I got on board.
- The US Supreme Court has heard a case concerning whether the Americans With Disabilities Act applies to foreign cruise ships porting in US harbors.
- 2 (for loading) (Aviation, Nautical)Example sentences
- Then came the rumbling of the heavy artillery being rolled down the street to the loading ports; the men in the way scattering like flies.
- The dull thuds of boarding shuttles connecting to the liner's docking ports reverberated through the ship.
- Once you learn to avoid the numerous ports and hatches, you will find this a very safe and easy deck to move about on, particularly while sailing at normal angles of heel.
- 3 (Computing)Example sentences
- Each repeater examines its local network ports to computer stations such as PC's to determine if any are inputting data to the repeater.
- The network is maintained using infrared, X10 protocol and even USB communication ports, he says.
- The data transfer network comprises a plurality of communication ports and a plurality of modules.
- It was even beginning to attract ports of commercial applications software.
- Without actually sitting down and benchmarking it, it feels identical to the laptop's ports in terms of transfer speed.
- The rest of the guys were the established players and didn't ask their customers to suffer huge software ports.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.