- 1 countable (at station, airport)(on expedition) porteador (masculine)(in hospital) (British)
camillero (masculine)Example sentences
- The car drove off to the train station, and the porters put her luggage on the train.
- Commuters alighting at the station, porters with luggage on their head and the crowds on the platform as the train arrives, were all there.
- For many years he worked as a railway porter and engine driver in Moscow, painting in his spare time, but from 1967 he was a full-time artist.
- Another group that has carved out an occupational niche for itself is the Sherpas, who are well known as guides and porters for mountain-climbing expeditions.
- The military also forces villages to supply porters to carry army supplies to their operations.
- Late in a day of falling into waist-deep slime, being bitten by ants, and clawing up mudslides, my expedition mates, our porters, and I crawled under a rock to escape the cold, driving rain.
- 2 countable (US) (Railways) (sleeping-car attendant)porter (masculine) (Mexico)Example sentences
- He was a porter on a Pullman sleeping car during the golden age of rail travel.
- Parks had worked closely with E.D. Nixon, a black trade unionist in Montgomery, the head of the local branch of the sleeping car porters ' union and a longtime fighter for voting rights and other issues.
- Bellboys, porters, restroom attendants and taxi drivers will happily accept loose change.
- 3 uncountable (Cooking)(tipo de cerveza negra)Example sentences
- Three beer styles are eligible in the competition: sweet stout, brown porter and best bitter.
- For example, Pilsner is one of the most popular lagers, while porter and stout are examples of ales.
- Originally, all beers were dark and heavy, similar to the porters, stouts and brown ales of Britain.
- 1 (in hotel, apartment block)Example sentences
- The porters at the College and eleven hired security officials then detained a man at the instruction of the College Dean while the police were called.
- She pursued the thief onto the High Street before returning to Exeter College to alert the porters.
- He worked as a night porter in hotels, which no doubt gave him time to read.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.