Translation of position in Spanish:
- 1 countable 1.1 (location) can you give me your exact position?enemy positions¿puede darme su posición or (especially Latin America) ubicación exacta?position closed (British English)posiciones (feminine plural) enemigasthey took up their positions in the paradeventanilla cerradapolicemen had taken up positions around the buildingocuparon sus puestos en el desfilethe castle occupies a commanding position above the townlos policías se habían apostado alrededor del edificiothey changed positionel castillo domina la ciudad desde lo altoto be in position/out of positionse cambiaron de lugar or de sitioestar en su sitio/fuera de lugarExample sentences1.2 (Sport)
- This is determined by the simple expedient of the listener holding a microphone to locate their position in the room.
- He made another important contribution in using a grid to locate positions of places on the Earth.
- Bringing the pole down into a horizontal position, my right arm out behind me, locating the position of my left hand was easy.
- Don't we need provisions in player contracts that require the players to accept positions on the Olympic team?
- The team spent the rest of the draft wisely looking for backups at depth-shy positions and special team players.
- Third base once was a position flush with players with outsize offensive numbers.
- 2 countable 2.1 (posture) 2.2 (stance, point of view)Example sentences
- The walls, which can be moved to any number of positions, have been arranged so that visitors can enjoy intriguing and compelling vistas of Klee's works.
- When pasting the red paper on the door, the character fu must be arranged in an upside-down position.
- The big pile of bedding to the left is our futons which I've expertly arranged into a sitting position.
- What is worse is that they assume that their view constitutes a feminist position on the issue.
- Is it possible to take a position on violence as a means towards an end, regardless of the nature of that end?
- Opinions, ideas, viewpoints, positions, perspectives, angles, impressions - now these I can handle.
- 3 3.1 countable (in hierarchy) in second/third position3.2 countable (job, post) [formal] a position of responsibility/trusten segundo/tercer puesto or lugarun puesto de responsabilidad/confianzaExample sentences3.3 uncountable (social standing)
- There are some paid positions, but at levels below what any mainstream publication would consider a skeleton staff.
- It usually appoints its cronies to positions of importance.
- At that time, I was running for elections for the position of external relations Officer.
- Everyone wants to play for each other, but we're all in different positions at club level, so some will be out to prove a point
- I am now considering my options in relation to my position in the Labour party.
- I feel languorous about my world, and of my position and importance in it.
- 4 countable (situation, circumstances) our economic position has improvedthe workforce is in a strong bargaining positionnuestra situación económica ha mejoradowhat's the current position with regard to deliveries?los trabajadores están en una buena posición para negociarit put us in a difficult/an awkward position¿cúal es la situación con respecto a las entregas?(if I were) in your positionnos puso en una situación difícil/delicadaput yourself in my position Jean's in the best position to knowyo que túyo en tu lugaryou're in no position to criticizeJean es quien mejor puede saberloI'm not in a position to help them at the momentno eres la persona más indicada para criticarI'm in the fortunate position of having a private incomeen este momento no estoy en condiciones de prestarles ayudatengo la suerte de disponer de rentasExample sentences
- Any significant increase in costs could affect the financial position adversely.
- I am not in a position to judge the financial standing of either company.
- After all, the government says it will continuously review its position as the situation changes.
- police had been positioned at both ends of the streethe positioned himself between the two guests of honorhabían apostado policías a ambos extremos de la callese situó or (in Latin America also) se ubicó entre los dos invitados de honorExample sentences
- The rain stopped as soon as we had positioned ourselves in the doors and windows overlooking the lawn and the porch.
- The staff can keep an eye on everyone from their centrally positioned work station.
- The cafeteria lunch servers are positioned near the doors with bags of chips, cookies, and soda in case you need a quick recharge.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to