Translation of prisoner in Spanish:
- 1.1(captive)he is a prisoner in his own house
prisionero, (-ra) (masculine, feminine)no se puede mover de casahe is a prisoner of his own ideologyes prisionero de sus ideashe was held prisoner(by enemy forces)
lo tuvieron prisionero(by kidnappers)to take somebody prisoner
lo tuvieron secuestradotomar or (especially Spain) coger a alguien prisioneroto take prisonershacer prisionerosto take no prisonersejecutar a todos los cautivosExample sentences1.2
(in jail)a prisoner of conscience
- After conquering Troy, you will need to rescue some villagers that have been taken prisoner by an unknown enemy.
- He had allowed his dear friend, his sister in Christ, to be taken prisoner by their enemies.
- Taken prisoner, he was jailed and as a POW served time in Wakefield and Frongoch prisons.
preso, (-sa) (masculine, feminine)
recluso, (-sa) (masculine, feminine)un preso de conciencia1.3(person arrested)1.4
detenido, (-da) (masculine, feminine)(accused)
reo (masculine and feminine)
acusado, (-da) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- A third of all inmates are remand prisoners who are awaiting trial or sentencing.
- Certainly, the cost to society of convicted prisoners who commit further crimes as soon as they are released is a high one.
- The cells are used to hold prisoners awaiting trial, or following conviction, pending transfer to a main prison.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.